got ethical husbandry?

Invited Speakers for 2021

Wlachnit

Past President
Invited Speaker Series
Following our successful speaker events last year, we are going to continue our Speaker series this year. Any further suggestions would be welcome and if you would like to champion a speaker, that would even be better! We are also funded to offer honorariums to the speakers.

There were a lot of great suggestions last year.
  1. Joe Caparatta, Unique Corals: topic? (Suggested by @wfong)
  2. Rich Ross- Spoke in December 2020
  3. Terrence from Neptune, hosts of the Skimmate podcast: Topic TBD?(suggested by @ofzakaria, @coralreefer)
  4. Eli Meyer, Aquabiomics: talk on tank microbiome and how to improve it (suggested by @Chromis)
  5. (The guys from), Legendary Corals: running a coral business (suggested by @coralreefer)
  6. John, YourReef: running a coral business (suggested by @coralreefer)
  7. Eliot Lim, Marine Collectors: Possibly topic on quarantining/treating diseases in marine fish, sourcing and caring for rarer fish (suggested by @pbh-reef)
  8. Mark Callahan, “Mr Saltwater Tank”: Maybe a topic he’s written a book on, “The no-nonsense guide to preventing and curing nuisance algae outbreaks” (suggested by @jonmos75)
  9. John Coppolino, expert hobbyist: Maybe a talk on his super-tank setup? Or adventures collecting and keeping dwarf angelfish? (Suggested by @Wlachnit)
  10. “Acro Al” from Australia - topic: clam breeding/husbandry (suggested by @EBJ)
  11. Vincent Chalias, Indonesia mariculture: Corals’ natural habitat and should we try to imitate it or best it in our aquariums? (Suggested by @Chromis)
  12. Dr. Tim Hovanec, Dr.Tim’s Aquatics: tank cycling, diatoms, dinos (crystophytes?) (Suggested by @ofzakaria)
  13. Charles Delbeek, Curator, Steinhart Aquarium: Spoke December 2020.
  14. Julian Sprung, book author: topic?
  15. Randy Holmes-Farley, chemist/Reef2Reef chemistry forum expert - BAR Q&A, trace elements functions? (Suggested by @Oakland Evan) - feedback is that he doesn't do speaker engagements
Someone who can speak on what trace elements do (for coral coloration, other biological processes) - ideas?
- I found Craig Bingman in past BAR speakers, who else might be a good speaker for this topic?

Also - does anyone from BAR volunteer to moderate popular topic discussions over Zoom? Ideas:
1. Programming Apex (participants bring both questions and tips)
2. @Corallus ?, DSLR-specific tank photography (repeat talk from Aug 2020 - hey, the slides are already done right?)

Last year's thread can be found here.

Last edited:
Reactions: JVU
I’d like to see if we could get Jake Adams from Reefbuilders.
I just watched a talk he gave recently and found him to be very entertaining and knowledgeable about “all things” reef related.

I’d like to see if we could get Jake Adams from Reefbuilders.
I just watched a talk he gave recently and found him to be very entertaining and knowledgeable about “all things” reef related.
He was one of the first speakers we had when I first joined in 2010. I’d see him again. Why not.

Also - does anyone from BAR volunteer to moderate popular topic discussions over Zoom? Ideas:
1. Programming Apex (participants bring both questions and tips)
2. @Corallus ?, DSLR-specific tank photography (repeat talk from Aug 2020 - hey, the slides are already done right?)

I'd be up for helping facilitate an Apex session. I've used Apex a year and a-half--far from expert. Might be a fun way to follow-on to Terrence's talk: Part 1-Terrence from Nepture for his piece, Part-2 How BAR Members Use Apex Automation.

And, I'm open to helping with the DSLR event with Corallus if there's anyway I can help.

I'd appreciate a discussion on coral placement. I'm digging and thinking of @NanoCrazed 's thread Coral Fight Club!.

Might pair well with
  • Joe Caparatta, Unique Corals: topic? (Suggested by @wfong)
  • Vincent Chalias, Indonesia mariculture: Corals’ natural habitat and should we try to imitate it or best it in our aquariums?
  • Mark Callahan, “Mr Saltwater Tank”: Maybe a topic he’s written a book on, “The no-nonsense guide to preventing and curing nuisance algae outbreaks” (suggested by @jonmos75)
  • ... others.
To have an expert share their insights for an hour and then have a panel discussion (or just an informal related discussion or show-and-tell) by BAR members on what they do could make for a fun way for members to then share their experiences of.a related discussion by a visiting SME.

Someone from reef nutrition/Reed mariculture to discuss all things pods (types, uses, breeding, etc) along with their other reef foods (best ways to use, what eats what, etc) . I realize this could end up being a bit of a sales pitch, but I feel like there could also be a lot of useful info there. Plus they're local, wouldn't hurt to grow a relationship.

Someone from reef nutrition/Reed mariculture to discuss all things pods (types, uses, breeding, etc) along with their other reef foods (best ways to use, what eats what, etc) . I realize this could end up being a bit of a sales pitch, but I feel like there could also be a lot of useful info there. Plus they're local, wouldn't hurt to grow a relationship.
Chad is THE MAN. Don’t know his last name. He’s done it before. Great educational time for sure.

Back