Our mission

IOWL's 50g frag tank

IOnceWasLegend

Frag Swap Coordinator
BOD
I started in the hobby seven months ago with a 20 gallon IM Nuvo 20, so of course the logical next step is to start a dedicated frag tank rather than upgrading the display!

Build Details

Tank:
50 gallon ZooMed Low Boy frag tank with an eShopps Prodigy M overflow box
Sump: 20 gallon(ish?) acrylic sump courtesy of @EBJ
Return pump: Tunze Silence Recirculation Pump 1073.020
ATO: Tunze Osmolator 3155
Dosing: Bubble Magus BM-T01
Powerhead(s): Vortech MP10
Lighting: 4 FT CEBU SUN SYSTEMS - 2 X 250 WATT & 4 X 54 WATT T5 HO (courtesy of @NanoCrazed and @Vincerama2 )

Prospective Livestock

Lawnmower blenny (algae control)
Wrasse (pest control. Any tips? I'll be running barebottom; I know six line wrasse are good, but not sure if there's other options)
Mandarin dragonet (because pretty and I'll be able to grow enough copepods to feed it)

Now that we've gotten enough stuff put away in the new place, I officially started the build tonight by installing mounting hardware on the T5/MH fixture (thanks, @NanoCrazed !), putting some shelving brackets into the wall, and mounting it. Before and after below:

IMG_20200922_191811.jpg

IMG_20200922_195621.jpg

(That fixture is also a lot more centered over the stand than it looks in the above picture.)

Tomorrow: the tank!

Last edited:
I’m jealous of your single ended fixtures, being to run the radiums. I have double ended fixtures, with the Phoenix 14k, which to my eye are pretty white. Cool Mario is hooking you up, he posted on another thread he has some extra de bulbs too...

Looking forward to seeing how it looks all lit up!

Post updated with build details and livestock.

I'm planning on keeping a lawnmower blenny for algae control, a wrasse for pest control, and a mandarin dragonet because it's beautiful and I'll be able to raise enough pods in this to feed it. A couple questions:

1. Is this enough bioload to maintain nitrates and phosphates in a system of my size?
2. Any tips on wrasse(s)? I'm running bare-bottom and I know the sixline is a good choice, but are there any other good choices?
3. Any other cool/nifty fish I could keep in a 4'x2'x10" tank if it doesn't push it over the bioload limits?

Got the tank home and placed it:

IMG_20200923_164210.jpg

Then immediately realized there was a flaw in my plan, because neither of the currently drilled holes would fit the side of the overflow box:

IMG_20200923_185823.jpg

Fortunately, @Coral reefer is awesome and was kind enough to agree to help drill the tank this weekend when I pick up some coral from him. I'll either use both holes as returns (they're different sizes, so maybe try to get differential high versus low flow), or plug one and just use the other as a return pump. So, build will resume after Sunday!

9/30/20 update:

@Coral reefer was awesome and showed me not only how to drill a tank, but walked me through how to ensure I don't get back-siphoning once the return pump is turned off (which...I did not consider). So, now the tank is drilled, the stand has been modified with a 2x4 on the back (visible in the first picture), and I've started working on the plumbing!

Shot of the tank placement with the overflow box:

IMG_20200928_203703.jpg

Realizing the skimmer I picked up from PIF from @Srt4eric is just a *bit* too big:
IMG_20200929_160502.jpg

Holes drilled in the stand, bulkhead added, and getting ready for plumbing:

IMG_20200929_201839.jpg

Dry-fitting the return line:

IMG_20200930_185154.jpg

Not too shabby for working on this a little bit every day after work. With any luck, I'll be able to get this finished up by this weekend...then spend most of it making saltwater and starting to leak test.

Man, that sump has changed hands more times in the last 6 months.... Haha

Please at least build a full frame for that 2x4... I know the tank is mostly supported by the black stand, but man that's scary... Even better build a frame for that and put a piece of plywood across the whole thing....

Man, that sump has changed hands more times in the last 6 months.... Haha

Please at least build a full frame for that 2x4... I know the tank is mostly supported by the black stand, but man that's scary... Even better build a frame for that and put a piece of plywood across the whole thing....

Way ahead of you on both counts. I've already framed one side, and will be framing the other once I get a jigsaw this week to cut the 2x4 to length for the other side. Once the plumbing is dry fit and the stand is positioned, I'll also be mounting an L-bracket between the extension on the back and the main support beam in my garage.

And today's update would have also included, "Bought and laid down a 3/4" sheet of plywood," if the board cutting saw at Home Depot wasn't out of order.

Dry fitting complete and plywood placed. Fittings have been marked off for proper alignment. And I realized after dry fitting everything that I can't actually remove the sump if I need to because the plumbing locks it in place... So I'll be buying a few unions tomorrow. As well as the plumbing I need to plumb the chiller in.

IMG_20201001_203446.jpg

Progress!

Back