Jestersix

iphone filter recommendation

newfly

Supporting Member
I'm not really into photography. Had a first gen Canon Rebel camera years ago and didn;t really use it much, especially cell phone camera have evolved quite a bit.

Now, for this hobby, i cannot get decent picture from the phone, due to the blue LED lights. The coral looks great to the naked eye, but looks awful in pictures. I hate to tweak the light setting just to take picture.

I see quite a few "Phone camera lens kit for aquarium" on amazon. Basically Yellow and Orange filter. Do they work? Anyone have any recommendation?

I have a young tank, and hoping to capture the progress in pictures.

I have the polyp labs lens v2. It works okay but doesn’t fit well on the triple lens of my iPhone 12 Pro. It seems to sit too far from the lens and I have to deal with some reflections.

I have also been trying the aquarium cam app, it works pretty well because it gives you sliders for different color tones. My only gripe is that it does seem to lose some photo quality. My assumption is that some features of the 12 pro cameras aren’t being leveraged by the app so some post processing doesn’t happen.

Either option will work, and I’ve gotten good pictures from both. But hopefully someone has a better option that they will rave about. I find pros/cons for each the options I use

I have the polyp labs lens v2. It works okay but doesn’t fit well on the triple lens of my iPhone 12 Pro. It seems to sit too far from the lens and I have to deal with some reflections.

I have also been trying the aquarium cam app, it works pretty well because it gives you sliders for different color tones. My only gripe is that it does seem to lose some photo quality. My assumption is that some features of the 12 pro cameras aren’t being leveraged by the app so some post processing doesn’t happen.

Either option will work, and I’ve gotten good pictures from both. But hopefully someone has a better option that they will rave about. I find pros/cons for each the options I use

Which app? Is it "Aquarium Camera" app?

Some improvement with the app compared to native iphone 11 camera.

How to do set WB to auto?

Attachments

• IMG_1604.JPG
    IMG_1604.JPG
    111 KB · Views: 184
  • IMG_1609.jpg
    IMG_1609.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 178
For apps, Camera+ works well for this and I’ve been using for quite a while. But the newer iPhones (especially 12 pro/max) and iOS updates have made 3rd party apps significantly less needed.

For camera filters, the 2 I’ve used with success are the one from Orphek (great) and a generic one (LabEdit Reef Coral Lens Phone Kit) that also works well.

Also if you just temporarily make your lights more balanced in color the iPhone can take it from there and give great pics.

Back