Reef nutrition

is all 1/4 tubing the same?

okay folks,

wondering if the 1/4" tubing for RODI and irrigation drip are the same?

was at hd and saw some irrigation tubing for cheap for 100', but wondering if anyone knows if there's any leaching or is all vinyl tubing pretty much equal or has used 1/4" tubing supposedly made for other purposes for RODI (or where to get a bunch of RODI tubing locally for cheap..)?

I doubt there would be any leeching effects for the short time freshwater is going through them. The differences I noticed is that the vinyl tubing is soft and flexible where as the stuff that comes with RO units is more stuff, but I think this is to prevent crimping.

Over time it will fail. The structural integrity of the irrigation isn't strong enough to keep it held in by the JG type fittings. You'll need to use a barbed fitting for it if you want assurance that it will not slip out of the fitting under pressure. Don't skimp, water damage can cost thousands upon thousands to fix. Lives are ruined over water damage quite often. Dry rot, mold, water damage, etc just aren't things to play around with :)

You can get the clear 1/4" at HD or Lowes fairly cheaply.

Use the semi-clear tubing they use for your water line for your icemaker, It is rigid like ro tubing and you can find it in the plumbing section, its preatty cheap and fits in thr JG fittings perfect.

Now see, my RO maker is in my greenhouse/porch area, concrete floor, drain below that, so if it leaks, no biggy I'll see the wet spot and get to cleaning it up. How ever because it's in the greenhouse if I used clear tubing I wouldn't be suprised if it got all algaefied, and I'd be unsure what reprecussions that would do, maybe nothing perhaps mixing with salt would kill it? perhaps not.. not to mention my unit is there to keep it warm, with 40PSI I need every last bit of help I can to make water effectively.

[quote author=sfsuphysics link=topic=2296.msg23149#msg23149 date=1186856289]
Now see, my RO maker is in my greenhouse/porch area, concrete floor, drain below that, so if it leaks, no biggy I'll see the wet spot and get to cleaning it up. How ever because it's in the greenhouse if I used clear tubing I wouldn't be suprised if it got all algaefied, and I'd be unsure what reprecussions that would do, maybe nothing perhaps mixing with salt would kill it? perhaps not.. not to mention my unit is there to keep it warm, with 40PSI I need every last bit of help I can to make water effectively.

[/quote]Wrap the tube in tape.

[quote author=sfsuphysics link=topic=2296.msg23149#msg23149 date=1186856289]

[/quote]

If you get algae in it, where do you figure the nutrients are coming from? Is this pre-RO or post-RO?

This place sell cheap polyurethane tubing. Stuff is relativly flexable. Good place in general for solenoids and some other things. They allow local pick up. http://www.stcvalve.com/Polyurethane_Tubing.htm

I've found cheaper, but bare bone ones. We buy them by the case when we get them.

haven't been on in a quick bit, but thanks for all the responses.. i'm going to go and start looking for some polyurethene tubing for RO then, still trying to get my salt mix and ATO setups up and running..

thanks for the offer jmc74, but i'll be needing well over 100' feet (or a few hundred depending on how crazy i do everything..) so i'm guessing thats quite a bit. iani, i'll definitely check out your site too. thanks everyone..

quick update - okay, found some of the polyurethene semi-clear tubing that is safe for drinking water/fridges at ace for $0.09 per foot, which comes out to $9 for each hundred feet (about have the price of the online link from iani). took a bit home and seems pretty much the same in its properties compared to the RODI tubing, so i'm guessing this should be good for me, right?

also, the manager (whose a good guy and pretty knowledgable from my experiences with past projects) also checked the drip irrigation tubing for me and said it was made of the same material and is drinking water safe too. though its cheap enough for me to buy in bulk at $9/100ft and be safe with jg fittings, i guess its good to know that the drip irrigation is pulyurethene too as fyi for others, as it is a bit cheaper.

Back