Cali Kid Corals

Is anybody cultivating Phyto? And will attend the swap?

Alexx

Supporting Member
I was wondering if anybody has some cultivated phyto available. I'd be interested to get some. I will be going at the swap.

Yes Alexx Im going to bring some pytho for club members on swap day. If anyone else want some feel free to reserve here. Or else is going to be first come first serve on swap day.

Will bring around 10 bottles of pytho give or take.

Yes Alexx Im going to bring some pytho for club members on swap day. If anyone else want some feel free to reserve here. Or else is going to be first come first serve on swap day.

Will bring around 10 bottles of pytho give or take.
O wow that's grate ! I'm sure ppl will get some.

I am just curious, what's is the difference between the types pythoplankton and the purpose. I always thought they are same and serve the same purpose.

I am just curious, what's is the difference between the types pythoplankton and the purpose. I always thought they are same and serve the same purpose.
I believe they're different sizes and have different fat contents, which may make some "better" for feeding coral and live baby brine shrimp? Practically speaking, I've read that nanno is the easiest to culture, so I've just gone with that.

In my hands, nanno has been fairly easy, but my nanno cultures do crash sometimes. Hard to say whether that's because of nutrient depletion or contamination.

I believe they're different sizes and have different fat contents, which may make some "better" for feeding coral and live baby brine shrimp? Practically speaking, I've read that nanno is the easiest to culture, so I've just gone with that.

In my hands, nanno has been fairly easy, but my nanno cultures do crash sometimes. Hard to say whether that's because of nutrient depletion or contamination.
Ah got it. Thank you

I have no idea about differences. I have some leftover brine shrimp kits from spring distance learning supplies I sent home with some students and they came with nanno. Since you have a fresh culture I wonder if anyone would be interested now.

head over to Reef Nutrition's website to read about the various phytoplanktons and their qualities. Size, shape, cell wall thickness, etc... there's a lot of differences.

www.ReefNutrition.com
better yet, their parent company:
https://reedmariculture.com/collections/instant-algae-feeds (click on the product information column)
https://reedmariculture.com/pages/microalgae-faq (click on Typical Nutritional Analysis of our Microalgae)
Cool to see, nice that they recommend usages in the product information column. I'm curious though - is it known whether corals feed on these different phyto in the ocean? I'm mostly finding info about shrimp and bivalves consuming phyto.

Cool to see, nice that they recommend usages in the product information column. I'm curious though - is it known whether corals feed on these different phyto in the ocean? I'm mostly finding info about shrimp and bivalves consuming phyto.

Yes, they've been shown to feed on the smaller ones, and more and more science is coming out on the subject every year/

Phyto is mainly for your filter feeders such as soft corals, bivalves, etc. SPS can consume then but rely more to on larger particles and zooplankton.

Would I feed it to SPS/LPS dominated tank, probably not anymore. Even when I worked for them, my dosing of it was minimal.

It seems like most of the phyto is living 12-14 weeks Refrigerate but I have mine that I think is like 9 months old :D, or maybe more.
It never smelt bad and it is still green, wonder if I should still use it.

Yes, they've been shown to feed on the smaller ones, and more and more science is coming out on the subject every year/

Phyto is mainly for your filter feeders such as soft corals, bivalves, etc. SPS can consume then but rely more to on larger particles and zooplankton.

Would I feed it to SPS/LPS dominated tank, probably not anymore. Even when I worked for them, my dosing of it was minimal.
I tried phyto dosing for softies before I upgraded - pretty rapidly gave me PO4 issues, and I suspect that this was caused by residual guillard's f/2 fertilizer used to grow the phyto culture.

I tried phyto dosing for softies before I upgraded - pretty rapidly gave me PO4 issues, and I suspect that this was caused by residual guillard's f/2 fertilizer used to grow the phyto culture.
Yea, becareful while using pythoplankton, it can make your Po4 go really high if u use too much.

That's the danger of growing it yourself, and the beauty or RN's product. RN centrifuges their product and they harvest at peak nutrition.

The other thing is... aquariums, and their inhabitants all have a metabolism. Its best to ramp up feedings over time.

That's the danger of growing it yourself, and the beauty or RN's product. RN centrifuges their product and they harvest at peak nutrition.

The other thing is... aquariums, and their inhabitants all have a metabolism. Its best to ramp up feedings over time.
Totally. I've been experimenting with precipitating out the phyto with pH increase, but am worried about killing it in the phyto. I'll put some serious thought into it once I get some time :)

Back