Cali Kid Corals

Is it possible to modify a tank? By chopping it?

Here is my issue. I was recently given an acrylic tank measuring 8'x2'x3'. The tank is constructed of 1" thick acrylic. Every panel is 1"thick. I would like to use it as a reef tank, but feel it would make a better reef tank if it were on its side. Will it be possible to have the top cut off, which is now currently the opening, and have a new solid panel put in its place? Then have the new opening cut in what is now the viewing panel. If so where could I go to have this done? :-

Mr Ugly just cut down a regular tank and made a prop tank checkout his thread
http://www.bareefers.org/discussion/index.php?topic=2051.0

will using the current viewing panel as the new base make my tank weaker. After looking at the construction of my other tank and this one, it seems that the side viewing panels always sit on top of the base. Will there be an issue with the strength of the tank if I were to change that configuration?

i was kinda wondering the same thing about chopping acrylic. i got a tank with 1 overflow with enough room for a 1" drain. i want to chop it out and make it big enough for the 1" hole and another 1 1/2" hole as well and wanted to know peoples opinions so I will be watching this thread.

[quote author=kurplunk link=topic=2070.msg20354#msg20354 date=1179798553]
will using the current viewing panel as the new base make my tank weaker. After looking at the construction of my other tank and this one, it seems that the side viewing panels always sit on top of the base. Will there be an issue with the strength of the tank if I were to change that configuration?
[/quote]

In the normal configuration, that joint is in shear. If you flip the tank so the front becomes the bottom, the joint in back is placed in tension. Guess you have to calculate the force per square inch of joint under tension. Don't know what the specs are for strength of glue joints. Must be look-up-able somewhere :D

Hmm... wonder if there are any engineers or physicists in the club... :D

I'm kinda guessing that it would be ok to do. Maybe lay in some square rod gussets along the new bottom edges just to be sure.

Is the front face perfectly flat, or does it bow out a bit in the center? If it's designed with a slight bow, it might be a problem to flip the tank on its face.

I'd holesaw the corners of the new opening, then rough cut with a skilsaw, then finish with a router and carbide cutter.

[quote author=kurplunk link=topic=2070.msg20350#msg20350 date=1179796660]I was recently given an acrylic tank measuring 8'x2'x3'.[/quote]

Hehe, I wish someone would give *me* one of those! Nice friends you have :D

Thanks for the advice mr. ugly I really appreciate it. With your input, and that of a few others that have come to take a look at the tank, I have decided to scrap the idea. I guess beggars can't be choosers. I would like to open the top of the tank a bit though. If I have to deal with the 3' of depth I would like to get as much access from the top. How much do you think I can cut out of the top? Can I only enlarge the two openings, or can I eliminate the entire center brace all together?

By the way my friend also gave me two large ocean clear filters that I am not going to use. If anyone is interested let me know before the next meeting.

[quote author=Mr. Ugly link=topic=2070.msg20508#msg20508 date=1180192261]
I'd keep the center brace, especially over an 8' length. Do you have pics/dimensions for the top openings?
[/quote]
I'd have to agree, you can get a lot of bowing over 8'.

Back