got ethical husbandry?

is this a pest? if so what is it?

found it in my quarantine, its size is about 5mm and it's flat looks like a starfish underneath

_MG_4811_zpsb14c60c7.jpg

goldielocke76 said:
It's an asterina star. I've heard mixed things about them being pests or not. I have head that linkia starfish eat them though, LoL

I think you mean harlequin shrimp will eat them. Those suckers can spread. If they get out of control and you dont like them find a harlequin.

Hello everyone so it turns out these are NOT harmless, in fact they're trying to kill a bird's nest acro frag I picked up a week ago. This article confirmed it for me;
http://www.garf.org/Star/starfish.html
I'm noticing the exact same symptoms described and when I looked into my QT this morning sure enough one of these stars was at the base of the frag mowing down the flesh & leaving behind a clean white skeleton. I'm going to go after them with tweezers and iodine over the next week....

they can turn to plague proportions if not put in check. Some are known to eat Zoanthids and Palys. So us Z's and P's collectors chuck em as we see em. I don't take risks

HiFidelity said:
Hello everyone so it turns out these are NOT harmless, in fact they're trying to kill a bird's nest acro frag I picked up a week ago. This article confirmed it for me;
http://www.garf.org/Star/starfish.html
I'm noticing the exact same symptoms described and when I looked into my QT this morning sure enough one of these stars was at the base of the frag mowing down the flesh & leaving behind a clean white skeleton. I'm going to go after them with tweezers and iodine over the next week....

That article is a decade old... Sat, 4 Mar 2000 21:54:10 -0800

some are bad, most are not. I never once got any bad ones in my entire reefing career.

I would have left them in there, typically I don't remove anything from the tank unless it's harming it (still have my kenya trees) but these things appeared in my quarantine first after I threw the frag in there and today when I saw it eating the acro that was all the reason I need to remove them all whenever I see them. Acro coral > some little ugly brown stars hands down, haha.

I have and so far I've seen nothing crawling on the acro besides the starfish, I dipped it in iodine once already I'm going to wait a little longer & dip again, I think I'm going to order a bottle of revive as well but I don't want to mix treatments

sfboarders said:
goldielocke76 said:
It's an asterina star. I've heard mixed things about them being pests or not. I have head that linkia starfish eat them though, LoL

I think you mean harlequin shrimp will eat them. Those suckers can spread. If they get out of control and you dont like them find a harlequin.

Nope, I meant linkia. There are some posts out there, if you are trying to figure out what they eat, that people have pictures of the linkias eating these little guys. Some say that their linkias do better when the asternia star population is high. They have several pictures of the linkia on the glass, eating an asternia, and they have progression shots. It's really neat. Now whether or not that's their natural diet, I'm not sure. All I can speak for is what others have posted on other forums.

Back