Cali Kid Corals

Is this an Oregon Tort?

Bought this from Law Office Aquariums as an Oregon Tort
Wondering if it’s actually what it is or if it’s just some other blue acro?
This is taken with lights off

Attachments

• 53BF2E46-ECD8-4CD4-BEC1-E54298D7F251.jpeg
    53BF2E46-ECD8-4CD4-BEC1-E54298D7F251.jpeg
    56.1 KB · Views: 187
Maybe? Really don't know, "The Oregon Tort" is not a unique species of coral. It's simply one that has a particular look/color to it, it was definitely a deep blue color though throughout the whole thing even the semi-shaded areas, unless that frag has been bleached out a lot, it's not the "original" Oregon tort. Although if you google oregon tort and click on images you'll see a number of corals all claiming to be, but many of them are way different, not just color either the whole coralite structure is different in many of the cases shown. One site "Battlecorals" (??) shows some aquablue/teal one they're calling "Oregon Blue Tort" and my eyes just rolled so far back into my head I could see the back of my skull....

I'd actually hold out judgement. Frags that grow from little nubs can take a while to take on the "normal" growth form and colors. I've had a number of frags that I thought were extremely questionable when I got them, but they eventually did look like they should after months of caring for the frag.

Just as a reference, here's my Oregon Tort I got from Tim Plaza.

Under Radion XR15w G4 Pros 18,500K setting with an orange filter on iPhone
A8AE5376-16A5-4048-A436-01691B3397B6.jpeg

Same settings as above, different tank. You can see that it can take on a more teal color. It’s a little more teal-ish in person than the phone camera is picking up.
89D70617-5601-43B0-A573-0F95A1E6C025.jpeg

iPhone 7 with lights off with iPhone flash.
BDC8CEE5-4E7A-412A-AADC-62AA288248B5.jpeg

I’ve never ordered from Law Firm Aquariums, but based on what I’ve seen from their FB auctions and the photos that they’ve had of significantly more expensive, “higher-end” frags that IMO looked pretty legit, I’d venture to guess there’s a decent chance it just needs to “grow-up” a little.

However, if you held my feet to the fire and made me guess just solely from that picture, I’d probably say no.

Last edited:
Hard to tell but in my experience what makes the Oregon tort such a great coral is that it maintains that deep blue under most conditions, even as a frag. I’ve had some tiny eraser sized nubs that were distinctly blue. Anything’s possible but at this point I’d be a bit concerned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you care about a named coral, make sure you get it from a reputable source. Well known stores and local reefers are your best bet IMO; Tim being one of them. Otherwise, it’s just a blue acro with a name guess on it.
Copps on RC is an another old timer and he’s got quite a few pieces up for grabs now.

Hard to tell but in my experience what makes the Oregon tort such a great coral is that it maintains that deep blue under most conditions, even as a frag. I’ve had some tiny eraser sized nubs that were distinctly blue. Anything’s possible but at this point I’d be a bit concerned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Agreed with this post. Oregon tort looked deep blue regardless of the condition of the system. When I have events that most coral react to, this one stay the same..
These are my 2 pieces. One on the very top of the tank, blasted with highest par, the other is on the lowest point of the tank and lowest par..

Attachments

• 20200426_204742.jpg
    20200426_204742.jpg
    130.8 KB · Views: 152
  • 20200426_204641.jpg
    20200426_204641.jpg
    156.1 KB · Views: 161
Honestly regardless if it is original OT or not, it look like a nice piece. If it kept this light blue, its gorgeous also..just forcus on your system and nurture the coral, they all look good in my eyes.

Back