Reef nutrition

IWOL's non-functional Hydras

So it worked without the capacitor? Wonder what it's used for? Normally I would say some sort of signal smoothing, but it's a DC input.
Yeah I reverse engineered the PCB layout. It is an input ripple capacitor. So it was safe to power on for a few minutes. New component gets delivered later this week.

Also, DC input, yes, but these are all switching regulators. The specific PSU for hydra has a 200mV p-p output ripple.

As a finance guy, me reading all the EE technical jargon on this thread. But this is still super interesting!

Math Lady / Confused Lady | Know Your Meme

Most I ever did was jump start a dead Kessil with a separate 10v power supply. Not sure on the technicals how it fixed it, but it worked.

As a finance guy, me reading all the EE technical jargon on this thread. But this is still super interesting!

Math Lady / Confused Lady | Know Your Meme

Most I ever did was jump start a dead Kessil with a separate 10v power supply. Not sure on the technicals how it fixed it, but it worked.
Haha I know exactly what happened there - the capacitor that is "short circuiting", literally fried to the point where it burned out.
That caused the entire faulty full channel to open circuit.

If you turn the intensity knob wayyyyy down to where the light barely turns on, you will see that two of the 8 rows will be powered off.

Pretty nice work!!
Wonder how difficult you'd say it is to desolder LED from the pucks and replace them? I have an older Vega Color I gor from one of the guys and several diodes are out; they are pretty darn small.
Is not a task I'm in a rush to achieve; I had the light for over a year in the trunk of my car and when I see it, my thought is to gut it and give it a try.

Back