got ethical husbandry?

Jawbreaker’s colors

euod

Supporting Member
I lost many, many jawbreakers through hoarding and only got one left. I think I have stared at it too long through light years that it’s hallucination now. This thing got some green specks now I think.
How many have gotten mushrooms with these colorations in the first year and what do you feed them? 68F0C485-2AFB-460C-843D-38092A5D79C3.jpeg

Some just don’t color up. I have one mother that barely gets red speckles after about a year

Same with mine, tiny red speck showed up about 6 months of growing it from penny size to half dollar. It popped out 4 babies at about the year mark though.

I have had mine for 5 years, maybe longer. It did not do well in my smaller tank due to poor water quality. I have been feeding it and the family Fauna Marin LPS Growth + Color several times per week. These mushrooms survived a really bad crash a year ago so they are almost indestructible. If someone has a different strain and would be willing to trade a baby, let me know.
408FF6CE-41F0-4002-BA7E-1C75039CC2EC.jpeg

I’ve had mine for about 5 months now and it has made a baby JB but both are still entirely orange. @iCon any insights from your time keeping jawbreakers? Do your colorful ones make colorful babies or do they each start as orange

Mine all came from the same “mother” (now great great great great grandmother) or whatever. Color is indicative of maturity, but not the only factor. Lighting is another, but beyond that, I don’t think there’s anything we can control - Think genes getting expressed in all sorts of ways. I have hundreds of JB from the same mother and every color combination and pattern has shown up. Almost always starts as just orange, but I’ve had some with red from the get go. Also have some 4” JB that are nearly all orange.

Usually, it’s the standard yellow/orange, followed by red, green, deep orange, and purple. Color comes in wedges, streaks, and specks. But, I just found one that went from orange to a green speck while skipping red... First time I’ve ever seen that. Also have an ultra mature JB with a bounce like mini-bubble. Go figure.

87E15C23-DC06-4398-8A7C-DCC721BC1E90.jpeg
0685B685-BF2B-410B-A1C2-DF93B9C3C9C1.jpeg

Last edited:
Back