Our mission

Jebao DCT-6000

popper

Supporting Member
I read these are dead silent out of the box. I bought two brand new. Been running for three days. They both make a humming sound. Should I return them or give them more time to break in?

Are they sitting on a hard surface? Or are they hard plumbed into anything? Both of those create a scenario where vibrations transfer much easier and create noise. Some people put a silicone or neoprene mat under the pump, and use silicone tubing for a short run of plumbing before going into the hard pvc.

I have a hard time believing "silent" from a motor, especially a budget one.

The humming is not due to vibration touching the bottom. I held the pumps so that they dont touch the bottom and they still hum. Bad batch?

I have a dct-8000 that I have been running for years. I wouldn't say it's SILENT but it's definitely not loud. Skimmer is exponentially louder.

How do you have them hooked up, what size pipe, how long, etc.? The harder it has to work, the louder it will be.

Last edited:
I set them at the lowest level and still hum. Hope these pictures can help you help me identify the problem. Pipes are 3/4" . Just ordered a set of DCP-4000.

Attachments

• 20220209_202031.jpg
    20220209_202031.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 106
  • 20220209_202025.jpg
    20220209_202025.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 111
Last edited:
Use bigger pipe as far as you can. You should try to maintain the output size as long as possible to reduce back pressure on the pump.
20220209_204335.jpg

When I stuck my head in to take the pic, there's definitely a noise from it, but with my stand closed I can't hear it over the water movement and radion fans... My pump is running at 80%.

I guess it's really hard to judge sound without actually hearing it.

I actually did a bunch of research on the jebao pumps recently. The best link I found was http://www.jobern.com/2018/07/jebao-pump-guide/

The summary is the Sine Wave pumps are going to be the quietest and not have the hum/squeal of the others. The letter names of the jebao's are very confusing and misleading. The best ones, with the sine wave control pattern versus on/off are the DCP and DCW pumps. The DCP has a controller that gives your more options as to the power (effectively 5% increments or something like that). The DCW had a smaller form factor, at least for the smaller outputs, and a lesser controller (8 settings total or so).

I think in theory both of those are also controllable, with a second DC input, but I haven't looked into that.

I bought a DCP for my main tank, and I was blown away by how quiet it was compared to the eheim it replaced. I also put a DCW in a Fluval 13.5, and it too is wonderfully quiet.

There was a DCT powering the skimmer I bought, and it's way way louder, with a higher pitch hum.

People seem to have some horror stories about all of them dying, but I'm not sure if that's just because so many people buy them because they're so much cheaper for what seems good quality. I'm not sure if they're actually any better or worse in reliability overall. The nice thing is you can buy two and have a backup for the price others are.

Also, the general bodies across all of these are interchangeable. You can pull an impeller and front plate off a DCT and stick it onto a DCW if you want. Such as if you're me and want to see if your DCT skimmer is loud because of the DCT pump vs DCW. The answer is yes, DCW was way better.

If you wanted to bring up your sump, you could pick up their newest version....
Ugh, I just ordered my DCP less than a month ago. Thanks for this link, I swapped mine out for a MDP with wifi!

reviews for the MDPs are that the app isn't intuitive, wanky and touchscreen is sensitive.
All accurate based on my MLW-30 jebao wavemaker with the same controller and app. Only pairs in AP mode and the app sucks. But theyre sooo cheap for what you get. And they flow well.

I run two DCT-6000 in my sump. Mounted with solid PVC, 1.5" pipe on each.
Note that mine are hanging from the pipe, and do not actually touch the sides of the tank at all.
I would not say dead silent at max, but very very close.
At low speed, definitely dead silent.
And if memory serves, it was that way out of the box.

Back