Jestersix

Jeff's 120

I plan on keeping the circulation on this guy low enough so that does not happen. If I have to I'll take one of the T's off of the return and send some of the water right back into the sump. Also believe the Filter sock will help catch a lot of those bubbles. Then there's the bubble trap... I'm sure it won't be perfect; will have some tweaking to do for sure.

70Cuda... what specifically about the set-up is it that you believe is leading to all the bubbles/force of flow?

We have a Reeflo 1550rpm pump for our return on a 180 gallon tank with 120 sump. We also wanted the slow return your talking about. Our display is 30 inches tall which is similar to yours and my husband suspects its that. We also have a similar refugeium, only ours is drilled holes where you have the screen so in my opinion is same thing. Good news is that idea works and no bubbles go into sump or main display. Bad news is I like the refugeium to be like a display and dont care for the bubbles that settle on rocks, only thing that helps is to point return into the wall but then id need to add flow via a ph so havent gone that route yet. Im pretty new to hobby so your build interests me as its similar to mine. What do you think about the return and what can be done and how are you going to point your return into fuge.

Ok... so here are some completed plumbing shots. I'm pretty comfortable with what I've got set up now and I believe that it was done in such a way for me to make a variety of adjustments in order to get everything just right.

Here are some pics...

3148965418_b4a55693f2_b.jpg

3148966322_e5a3c2df43_b.jpg

3148966794_90003d7edd_b.jpg

3148967276_98d7626a2e_b.jpg

[quote author=70Cuda link=topic=4762.msg71883#msg71883 date=1230578571]
Good news is that idea works and no bubbles go into sump or main display. Bad news is I like the refugeium to be like a display and dont care for the bubbles that settle on rocks, only thing that helps is to point return into the wall but then id need to add flow via a ph so havent gone that route yet. What do you think about the return and what can be done and how are you going to point your return into fuge.
[/quote]

I'm not really worried about the drain into my sump area because of the Filter sock and bubble trap. As to the drain in to the refugium I expect to be able to control the amount of flow into this via the ball valve going into my sump. I also like to use the 45" elbow in the water just under the surface. I actually don't see too much of a problem with the flow pointing at the wall since super slow flow in a refugium is ideal anyways. I don't think the addition of a powerhead would be necessary.. .IMO.

Those are my inital thoughts. I will be able to tell you here in the next 1-2 days what i'm experiencing. Expect to start moving in rock, sand and water tomorrow after 3pm.

Now I'm off to work on Electrical for the tank stand area. Should be pretty straight forward. I will be using a cord control tube under a long commercial power bar. Will post pics when completed.

So finished basic electricle in the stand. Installed a bar with labeled sockets. Installed cord organizer underneith to keep things clean. Now I'm off to install a Vent and passage hole in the back panel for Electric cord to exit. Once I have my 40G frag tank set up and ready to plumb I will take the back panel off again to drill holes for plumbing.

I am probably going to go ahead and create a sheild between the return/drain lines and the electric bar. Not that there is any water up there but if for some reason a bulkhead was to leak or a pipe break I want to make sure I'm covered.

3149115088_85c8f62134_b.jpg

3149114638_044a19346e_b.jpg

All right... plumbing done... tank leveled... I'm ready to aquascape the display tank. It's only 5 and I've got nothing to do tonight so here I go. Will post pics of what I'm able to do as I go.

Such a clean setup. I'm jealous! BTW, how do you plan to add water to the system during a water change? Stupid question perhaps, but I'm trying to plan on my future plumbing as well ;).

[quote author=itsacrispy link=topic=4762.msg71938#msg71938 date=1230600793]
... how do you plan to add water to the system during a water change? Stupid question perhaps, but I'm trying to plan on my future plumbing as well ;).
[/quote]

This is how I've put water in my tank for years. I have a MAG12 Pump in this Brute where I mix saltwater. I just put the hook over the side of the tank and turn my power strip on. For taking water out I have a similar hook that stays stationaryover the side. I adjust the length of the hook into the water so that it stops pulling water out at 10%. Makes it easy to pull the right amount out. I have to readjust for this new tank this week to pull 10% of a 200g total system volume. 20G out and 20G back in. Pretty quick and easy change actually. The thing that takes time is making the RO/DI.

3148745397_744697571a_b.jpg

3148745797_ca5170f53e_b.jpg

Going ahead and putting 70-80G of SW in the tank before I start aquascaping. Want to keep the LR in water as much as possible through this process.

3149577536_9ea4a53336_b.jpg

3149578570_f4bc656b7c_b.jpg

3149579016_c823329a83_b.jpg

I like your "color coded" zip ties LOL :D .. J/K

I think the skimmer might be a little low. You might have to raise it up a bit for better performance. I suggest you to do a gatevalve mod for it. Much easier to adjust the skimmer output/water level.

;D everytime I see that it makes me giddy. So much fun in the beginning. Happy aquascaping.. :D Tell the wifey its fish towel time. ~smile

[quote author=Elite link=topic=4762.msg71947#msg71947 date=1230607890]

I think the skimmer might be a little low. You might have to raise it up a bit for better performance. I suggest you to do a gatevalve mod for it. Much easier to adjust the skimmer output/water level.
[/quote]

Ya... the jury is out for now on the skimmer height. When I had it in the 55g I had a PVC platform for it that was 6.5" high to get it at a nice spot. At this point I haven't decided exactly at what water level I want my ATO to keep the sump area so once that's decided I will be able to fine tune the skimmer height.

As to the gatevalve mod on the skimmer...??? do you have a link to what you're talking about? some tips or instruction sheets?

[quote author=70Cuda link=topic=4762.msg71948#msg71948 date=1230608019]
;D everytime I see that it makes me giddy. So much fun in the beginning. Happy aquascaping.. :D Tell the wifey its fish towel time. ~smile
[/quote]

Yep... I had my wife get me a pile of towels about 20 high. I didn't know we had so many towels.... ;D

Ok... first round of aquascaping done. Was not able to do what I had invisioned with the live rock I had but I believe I've put together something that looks good. Still have lots of filling in to do to hide PVC as well as to create some extra spots to place corals. Too tired to post pictures now but will do so tomorrow once I crawl out of bed.

Back