Kessil

Joost's 80 gallon azoox project

Coral reefer said:
jellygeee said:
Wow, I need to get me one of these non photosynthetic tanks so I can keep Dendrophilias and Tubastreas

Neither need a dedicated tank and do just fine in mixed reefs with some spot feeding. Most are kept like that in fact.

What is a pain to you could very well be a task others find gives them a greater connection to their tank and aquatic life.

Depends on the type of azoox tank as well. A dendronepthea directed system isn't the best for any coral that needs to lay calcium down.

Coral reefer said:
I know, I have dendros, just seems like that would really be the best way to keep them thriving. Necessary Spot feeding is kindof a pain
I still spot feed them 5-6 times a week ;), although they do fine in my system without spot feeding growth is very slow, with spot feeding new polyp growth and tissue recovery from malnourishment is surprisingly fast with sun corals. The food addition does keep them open throughout the day which is a huge plus.

Joost_ - are you going to post the concrete process you used for the aquascaping? If not do you have links to the process? I really like what you did for your tank and might like to do somehting simular in the future. I did some Google-fu and came up with aotherr process for fresh water tanks and ponds...but they specifically said it was not for SW applications as the styrofoam broke down in a marine environment.

-Gregory

Joost_ said:
Coral reefer said:
I know, I have dendros, just seems like that would really be the best way to keep them thriving. Necessary Spot feeding is kindof a pain
I still spot feed them 5-6 times a week ;), although they do fine in my system without spot feeding growth is very slow, with spot feeding new polyp growth and tissue recovery from malnourishment is surprisingly fast with sun corals. The food addition does keep them open throughout the day which is a huge plus.
Wow, that's a lot if feeding! I thought with all the autofeeding you do they wouldn't need it so much. That's for the info. Keeping them open all day is awesome though!

GDawson said:
Joost_ - are you going to post the concrete process you used for the aquascaping? If not do you have links to the process? I really like what you did for your tank and might like to do somehting simular in the future. I did some Google-fu and came up with aotherr process for fresh water tanks and ponds...but they specifically said it was not for SW applications as the styrofoam broke down in a marine environment.

-Gregory
Sorry don't have any pics :(
So this is how I made my structure but there certainly is room for improvement on which I'll elaborate more below:

What you'll need:
-styrofoam
-silicon
-cement
-brush
-knife or similar for carving

1. glue sheets of styrofoam together to preferred thickness with silicon
2. carve out styrofoam, you can add tunnels and stuff in the back
3. add layer of cement with brush (don't add cement to back)
4. let dry for 48 hours, add plastic cover otherwise rock dries to fast and becomes very fragile
5. allow sufficient time to cure in FRESH water, doing frequent water changes will speed up process. You can also add vinegar or other weak acids
6. glue the back to glass with silicon
7. enjoy tank

I think with my next tank I'll make a mold for the rock and just pour a this DIY LR mixture in there:
http://www.reef-eden.net/diy_9.htm
The plan is to add strong magnets and some strong clear cord attached to the canopy to suspend the rock, I'd probably add some kind of floater in the center too to decrease weight.

Back