Our mission

Kalk dosing question

newfly

Supporting Member
Just setup dosing Kalk with a hydros control dosing pump. Didn’t realized the app have a max 500ml per day . I use 2 teaspoon Kalk per gallon of water. With this concentration, looks like 500ml is only adding 0.25dkh.

what’s your Kalk dosing setup to add 1dkh per day? What pump did you use? Mine is consuming 3dkh, but I’m also doing 2-parts.

I use the Neptune DOS, which I read can dose up to 120 liters per day. I dose 6 liters per day of max saturation kalk from 6p to 9a and it has no problem with that. That’s about half of my alkalinity consumption per day but I’m limited to that by evaporation and high pH anyway.

Been using the Red Sea dosers. I find them accurate. You can program them I think for up to 24 doses a day. Unsure on amount but def over a liter a day.

I use a Kamoer Pro-T to pump 5L of water in my kalk reactor throughout the day. It's a continuous duty stepper motor so you can do slow and steady.

Almost three years. Connection must be on a 2.4ghz network which can be tricky on some routers. Once connected it hasn't been an issue for me. I also bought tubing in bulk from AliExpress and change it every couple months or if I see it cracked and leaking from wear.

I’m not ready to go apex yet. Anyone have recommendations for programmable doser that can dose 1-2L a day?
Not what you’re asking, but I think you need a way to monitor pH in real time 24/7 (preferably with alerts) if you’re going to dose kalk. It’s just way too easy to crank the pH to dangerous levels and crash your tank, and manual testing doesn’t cut it. I know lots of people feel kalk is the easier way to approach Alk/Ca/pH and easier often doesn’t include an Apex. And I know people very experienced with kalk may not feel they need pH monitoring. But I think it’s of significant benefit regardless of skill/experience level and I personally wouldn’t use kalk without pH monitoring, which for my display is an Apex.

Not what you’re asking, but I think you need a way to monitor pH in real time 24/7 (preferably with alerts) if you’re going to dose kalk. It’s just way too easy to crank the pH to dangerous levels and crash your tank, and manual testing doesn’t cut it. I know lots of people feel kalk is the easier way to approach Alk/Ca/pH and easier often doesn’t include an Apex. And I know people very experienced with kalk may not feel they need pH monitoring. But I think it’s of significant benefit regardless of skill/experience level and I personally wouldn’t use kalk without pH monitoring, which for my display is an Apex.
Thanks. I’m currently dosing 500ml ( 10ml x 50) which is a fraction of my tank consumption. I assume that’s safe without monitoring ph.

i could add ph monitoring ( I have Hydros control) in the future if I’m going to crank up the kalk amount. I could go as high as 4L .

Reactions: JVU
Fwiw I just use a cheap ass doser for my Kalk. My setup is one of those really basic DC pump ones, controlled by a reef pi for scheduling. Runs every 3 minutes for 5 seconds at night.

I have had the tubing split, but I view that more as me being lazy with the maintenance than anything else.

Admittedly I'm basically saying build a complicated controller to save a bit of money on a doser, but I more mean it to say you don't necessarily need a fancy doser if you're occasionally measuring. Especially if you're tracking pH. I can tell when my dosing is off by my minimum pH dropping under 8. Usually means my mix needs a stirring or a fresh dose of Kalk.

Back