Our mission

Kessil's AP9X

I know it was inevitable but I’ve got 3 AP700’s and had been on the lookout for a 4th for my next build. Now I may have to sell all them to get the latest and greatest. I’m interested to see just what improvements they’ve made too. Those G5’s look pretty sweet too (albeit even more expensive).

Anyone want to join me on the virtual demo? I got an invite for tomorrow at 5pm if you got some time and want to join in they offered a “couple” extra spots. I don’t want to request a lot so I’m thinking 2 at most.

They were installing 2 of these over the shallow tank in front of the registers at Neptune today. Looked pretty nice, didn't spend lot of time checking them out though. I think these are about the same price as the xr30s aren't they?

I don't think MSRP has been released yet, but considering the 360WE had a massive price jump to the 360X ($100 or about 30%) I wouldn't be shocked in the least if the AP9x is more than the XR30, currently the xr30 is only $50 more than the AP700.

Got the deets! I’ll paraphrase as there’s a lot going on in the new unit.

All new components rebuilt from the ground up

184 watts

Better optics to increase how well the light/par spreads out.

Eventual apex connectivity(0-10vcords) software will come later but they put the hardware in it.

You can use the 0-10v cords to connect to kessil models that will not take a WiFi dongle and will allow you to use the app/WiFi (A160/80)

The led cluster is much more even and dense as they were able to fit even more leds into the matrix which allows for better blending.

Launch date it July 15th

Price is $839

Last edited:
So same price as xr30s. What's the recommendation for a 60x24x24 mixed reef? 2 fixtures?

Do the fixtures need to maintain wifi to run their program? Or is the program actually loaded onto the fixture? Obviously to adjust them with the app you need to have wifi, but once you set them on a schedule could you remove wifi and have them run their schedule?

A more broad question, what's everyone's thoughts on putting lights down the center of the tank vs staggering front to back? I'm debating getting new lights but thinking it makes more sense to get something like multiple xr15s so I can spread the lights front to back as well as across the length. My thought here is no matter how good of "spread" you get, you're still emitting from a single point (or line of points) forming a cone over the width of the tank. Staggering the light allows the cone to hit the corals from the sides as well. Am I crazy here?

So I guess my thought is maybe 2 of the AP9X "works" lengthwise, but would it be better to orient them width wise? And if so, I assume that would require 3-4 lights.

So same price as xr30s. What's the recommendation for a 60x24x24 mixed reef? 2 fixtures?

Do the fixtures need to maintain wifi to run their program? Or is the program actually loaded onto the fixture? Obviously to adjust them with the app you need to have wifi, but once you set them on a schedule could you remove wifi and have them run their schedule?

A more broad question, what's everyone's thoughts on putting lights down the center of the tank vs staggering front to back? I'm debating getting new lights but thinking it makes more sense to get something like multiple xr15s so I can spread the lights front to back as well as across the length. My thought here is no matter how good of "spread" you get, you're still emitting from a single point (or line of points) forming a cone over the width of the tank. Staggering the light allows the cone to hit the corals from the sides as well. Am I crazy here?

So I guess my thought is maybe 2 of the AP9X "works" lengthwise, but would it be better to orient them width wise? And if so, I assume that would require 3-4 lights.
The spread is 48x24 for a mixed reef(chalices and softies on the corners) and 36x24 for a SPS dominant tank. Their new mount style is awesome and allows for only a single arm that articulates about every which way you would ever want it to go including width wise with the single mount. Based on the info you would need 2 AP9x and it will cover the whole tank for a SPS dominant system.

Back