Jestersix

Lanthanum Chloride Success (so far)

This is a bit of a resurrection but figured it's better than starting a new thread. @H2OPlayar did you continue dosing lanthanum? Or did you let po4 rise again because you saw no benefit with lower phos?

My po4 is around .4-.5, which is fine for me other than it tends to rise pretty quickly without GFO which is such a PITA. I'm thinking of dosing lanthanum very slowly into the skimmer with a Versa pump and am curious if it clung to the walls of your skimmer or required any extra cleaning? My Reef Octo skimmer also has an ozone inlet on the volute which would be super convenient but might gum up the skimmer pump...

@IOnceWasLegend where did you add yours?

I know folks have had success just adding it to the tank but I'd prefer to dose into the roller mat or skimmer just to be as cautious as possible!
I dosed into the skimmer chamber; not into the skimmer itself though.

I've heard of dosing it into the skimmer body a couple inches below the water line using a hard dosing tube drilled through the center of the skimmer lid had great results. I may try this soon myself as I'm getting tired of changing out GFO.

Inverting this conversation, does anyone have negative experiences using this? I've been intrigued by it for awhile but never did it. My thought was run it diluted in RO and dose into my frag tank filter sock. Diluting a bit so it'd be more spread out across more water contact, and just easier to control.

Seems a lot easier than either phosguard or go.

For my main display I need to design a 3d printed snail guard for my skimmer inlet, they keep getting stuck in it. I could add a funnel or something to that to let me dose lanthanum in that way too.

Not sure if it matters or not, but the thinking awhile back was not to put it right into a pump. Dilution seems smart. Not sure a filter sock is fine enough to do much tho?

First two times I dosed lanthanum chloride I did so into a 10 micron sock. Third time I did so into my Reefmat. The next morning my young yellow tang was dead. I found out that day that there was a crease in the fleece roller which allowed water to get through without filtering. Now I dose lanthanum by diluting it with RODI and having it drip very slowly through an IV bag in my sump and into a 10 micron sock that have water flowing through via a manifold. I got the IV bag off Amazon which sells slow drip bags for plant irrigation/watering.

This is a bit of a resurrection but figured it's better than starting a new thread. @H2OPlayar did you continue dosing lanthanum? Or did you let po4 rise again because you saw no benefit with lower phos?
I dosed it in the neck of the skimmer to get the phosphate out when it was too high, and have successfully done it 3 different times. I'm not actively managing the tank so I make big changes when I'm there.

Back