Kessil

Lawrence's first (90g) salt water tank

e9ea08a7337bca5b2934c913fb7867cc.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lawrence is taking care of chloramine. I'm just watching the leopard wrasse swim around the new image coral.
d5380f9f5279f4947d3ae58a93cae889.jpg

I did complete the rescue of a mushroom that popped off and have been nursing a zoa back to health. The learning process here is awesome.

Why didn't anyone warn us that Foxface's have a stress reaction that can make them look dead?
043aeaf6fe3e10deceb9e5a976e18159.jpg

From this:
15f9ede4ea4ef4bbeede47d3a1827d14.jpg

Oh. By the way, we are up to 5 fish. Lawrence came home with the foxface today (it eats bubble algae!) along with 2 more corals, and in a mishap with our wav, I surfaced a zoa that I thought I had lost.

More corals.
A miscreant Wav.
A bubbling PS (reaction to epoxy?).
And a hermit crab in a snail shell.

All is good. Ish.

Why didn't anyone warn us that Foxface's have a stress reaction that can make them look dead?
043aeaf6fe3e10deceb9e5a976e18159.jpg

From this:
15f9ede4ea4ef4bbeede47d3a1827d14.jpg

Oh. By the way, we are up to 5 fish. Lawrence came home with the foxface today (it eats bubble algae!) along with 2 more corals, and in a mishap with our wav, I surfaced a zoa that I thought I had lost.

More corals.
A miscreant Wav.
A bubbling PS (reaction to epoxy?).
And a hermit crab in a snail shell.

All is good. Ish.

You are correct, epoxy will make your skimmer go nuts for an hour or two.

Fox face looks scary.....I always knew fish could change colors, but my first experience was quite surprising to me and just how pale and white Mandarin gobies get. This happens to mine every night when the lights go out.

5253bdb660aadae2374c3fe5333505d0.jpg

Fox face looks scary.....I always knew fish could change colors, but my first experience was quite surprising to me and just how pale and white Mandarin gobies get. This happens to mine every night when the lights go out.

My friend google saved my sanity. I was about to pull it and get it in a bucket with an air stone - which, of course, only would have stressed it more.

The joy of being rookies with a 90g.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You are correct, epoxy will make your skimmer go nuts for an hour or two.

5253bdb660aadae2374c3fe5333505d0.jpg
I remember the first time I found my mandarin after dark and it was super pale. It really looked dead.

Yeah pale with patchy/stringy whitish mucus sometimes, it can be really scary the first time (or the second or the third...)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

That day you get up to 9(!) fish and more coral because you final got diatom under control... and then you see a few spots of bubble algae. Grrrr.

Fish added today: 3 Bartlett's Anthias and 1 Sailfin Tang.

0913eb4c35c8131cf315e54491cb2d20.jpg

Reactions: JVU
I'm guessing why graze when food comes every so often? I think the fish might not be enticed to go after the algae if free food is just a turn of the feeder away.
Maybe put a sign "free food", you know, like the Road Runner and Willy Coyote...

Updated photo!
12ce5ec9b8899df46140b9636fd4dce9.jpg

We finally got some dental tools at AC and I start slowly picking at the bubble algae. Turns out the Sailfin Tang loves it. I do it about an hour before L usually feeds them so they are hungry. He's been doing 5 gal daily water changes to fix the salinity, so hopefully we've just been clearing it.

But how long does it take if it is going to reseed and get worse?

The rhodactus is my new favorite coral. We added another fun hammer, a handful of zoas and montis. We're hoping the switch to the new salt mix will amp up growth!

So much fun.

Back