Cali Kid Corals

Leemar Starphire 290

Finally got all three tanks moved over.

Corals, snails, crabs, shrimps and fish all seem to be adjusting well. Made a video.....mostly for my own documentation of the tank progress, but figured I would put it up. Params are still improving. Phosphate is down to .10 with the GFO and the nitrates are down to 2ppm. WOO HOO! LOL! Anyway, enjoy. Thanks.

http://youtu.be/E-59oZNIJAc

Nothing like the reward of a fresh tank to look at!
It takes a LOT of hard work to do that.
Very nice.
Now the hard part comes.
Keep up with the mundane maintenance.
Enjoy!

Thanks Jar.

It has been so nice to just sit on the couch and watch the fish. All the room has really made for a mellow tank. I just love it. Corals are all doing well. Feels good. ;)

Need a lift???

IMG_1982.jpg

Just happened to be walking by the tank and noticed the urchin taking a break while the giant turbo was giving it a lift.

Been playin in the tank and took some photo's. Lot's of new stuff.............Ron and I spent a day at Neptune going crazy on the 10 dollar frags. 8) CRAZY good deals to be had. Also got some stuff from Aquatic collection after the last BAR meeting.........including a new and BEAUTFUL Mimic tang! It was rather large and had been there for 3 weeks and looked fantastic. I was able to put him in the display tank and after approx 1 hour of getting to know the Vlamingi......I put the Purple tang up from the Refugium. A couple hours of mild aggression, and now they are all pals. Often swimming in a group as they graze around in the tank.

Dealing with LOT'S of algae. Today I did an 80 gallon water change, and changed out the GFO doubling the amount as suggested by BRS. Phosphates are hovering around .10ppm......would like to get them down to zero, or at least .02 or less. However, I have added a lot of trochous, astrea and turbo snails as well as a bunch of hermits, 3 emerald crabs and a boatload of Nassarious snails for the sand and detritis. Everyone is busy, busy.

New redheaded fairy wrass.......added approx 3 weeks ago
DSCN1462.jpg

New Mimic tang along with a small maxima clam
DSCN1397.jpg

Meteor shower Cephastrea
DSCN1378.jpg

Really cool war coral. Sorry about the focus, but hope this will be a DBTC addition in the future
DSCN1405.jpg

Can't remember what this one is called, but love it.
DSCN1389.jpg

Blue acro
DSCN1356.jpg

Length of the tank from the right side...
DSCN1457.jpg

This is an Acro from Gimmito (originally JRocha I believe)......awesome piece, however today it fell over onto my milli and the top is all white. Not sure if I should just leave it as is, or cut the tops off?? Should be fine, but I'm mad at myself for not glueing it down immediately.
DSCN1353.jpg

Milli
DSCN1355.jpg

Starry Blenny chillin in the rocks
DSCN1402.jpg

Light blue Acro
DSCN1382.jpg

Green Leather
DSCN1368.jpg

Green Acro
DSCN1416.jpg

For some reason, I really like Birdsnest coral......this is one of about 4 different ones that I have. LOL!
DSCN1367.jpg

Kmooresf said:
Dealing with LOT'S of algae. Today I did an 80 gallon water change, and changed out the GFO doubling the amount as suggested by BRS. Phosphates are hovering around .10ppm......would like to get them down to zero, or at least .02 or less.

You might want to try a couple of rounds of Phosguard or something similar to get the phosphates down (be careful to avoid the ones which can leech Aluminum once saturated). This approach has worked well for me. I read or heard recently that GFO is really only suitable for maintenance and over-use can have detrimental effects.

Just going by the directions on the high capacity GFO from BRS. They recommend the first month to be at half the normal dose........I assume to make it a slower transition?? Then when it's time to replace to double it to bring it the rest of the way down. I also have several types of Macro algae in the fuge.

As for algae problem......it was primarily diotom......brown, however now it is green and I have some red cyano on a few of the rocks and little spots on the sand. I have been sifting the sand every other day to keep it down and have removed the top layer of algae on the sand twice. The snails and urchin seem to be catching up to the problem, but I am just trying to stay on top of it. I really don't want to add anything to the tank.........was hoping to get rid of it with just water changes and GFO.

I am also rinsing the frozen food before feeding time and being diligent about keeping the filter socks clean. Other than the algae, the tank is doing very well. DKH dropped a bit.........down to 8.004 however one dose of Kent Marine DKH superbuffer and it is right back up to 9.5 and the PH is stable at 8.37ish. Calcium however is still VERY high. Over 500. Thinking the corals will use that up soon enough.

What do ya think?? Ok to stick with the same plan? Thanks for the input all. ;)

bondolo said:
Kmooresf said:
Dealing with LOT'S of algae. Today I did an 80 gallon water change, and changed out the GFO doubling the amount as suggested by BRS. Phosphates are hovering around .10ppm......would like to get them down to zero, or at least .02 or less.

You might want to try a couple of rounds of Phosguard or something similar to get the phosphates down (be careful to avoid the ones which can leech Aluminum once saturated). This approach has worked well for me. I read or heard recently that GFO is really only suitable for maintenance and over-use can have detrimental effects.

Are you referring to the depletion of trace minerals, or accumulation of excess iron? I suppose in some systems iron could be the limiting factor for algae/cyano/diatom growth, it certainly can be the limiting nutrient in the ocean.

Also, if you don't regularly check advanced aquarist, give this article by the one the only RHF on phosphate in aquariums. Good read.

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2012/3/chemistry?utm_source=nivoslider&utm_medium=slider&utm_campaign=clickthru

Back