Kessil

Leveling a full aquarium

newfly

Supporting Member
For whatever reason I noticed my 65g have a slight tilt. The water level is 0.1-0.2inch different on both ends. Most likely the foundation is shifting which is not unusual in my area. It was level when I set it up 2 yrs ago.

I was wondering what’s my options for the fish tank if this get worse?

Removing all the water and coral is a lot of work.

Any suggestions?

If it really is .1"-.2", I would go with ignore it until it gets worse. Likely the subfloor settling with the new weight. If it got to say 1/2", I would be a little more concerned.

Curious what others think here too as I am going with my gut and no real experience.

It’s only 65 gallons...
If change has occurred and is now noticed
Then fix it now
It’s not going to get better
And will get worse
I hope you do not have a cabinet made from MDF material
If so, then time is not your friend
Good luck

My tank also has a slightly unlevel aspect. Before I had installed the tank though I went into the crawlspace and put some pillars and a thick beam to help support the floor. I tried to level it as best I could. So I don't know if the tank's weight still shifted the floor or if I didn't level it properly.

Out of level at the start with no change over time...not good, but tolerable
Hopefully no failure
But
Level at start with change that is now noticeable
Is a problem
Fix it now
I’ve seen the tragedies already

updating this old thread. The floor/foundation seems to be sinking, the delta between the high and low point is ~2inch. The fish stand is "level" and not twisting.

Working with a foundation repair/leveling company. Screw jacks, push piers, etc. Going to cost $$

As for the tank, going to leave it as-is, until the foundation is relevel. Planning to get something like this to help with the phase 2 tank relevel - after draining 70% of the 65g tank

just to be clear, the 2 inches is for the entire house. not the 4ft fish tank
Any of your neighbors have the same issues? Curious if you have a slab or stem wall foundation? I've seen foundations poured outa level but they adjust building the subfloor. If the whole house is slowly tilting over time you would definitely notice on the doors and windows. Especially the second floor since that two inch outa level compounds outa plumb.
Any idea how much the house outa plump?. Its a common issue around here especially on the flatlands near the bay. Fix was sinking piers or drilling deep holes poured with concrete &steele attached to the foundation to stop the sinking. I’ve come across 30 year old neighborhoods with foundations supported by piers in which the surrounding ground has sunk almost a foot and houses were fine just gota adjust utilities over time and hard landscaping. The price we pay for building on fill and marshlands. My Dad, brother and I all had our own Masonry Contracting companies here in the bay area and Tahoe. I got out years ago and moved on to other adventures otherwise wouldn’t have much of a back left down the road lol.
Best of luck hope the contractors consulted with a soil engineer to give you the best plan of action.!
Paul

updating this old thread. The floor/foundation seems to be sinking, the delta between the high and low point is ~2inch. The fish stand is "level" and not twisting.

Working with a foundation repair/leveling company. Screw jacks, push piers, etc. Going to cost $$

As for the tank, going to leave it as-is, until the foundation is relevel. Planning to get something like this to help with the phase 2 tank relevel - after draining 70% of the 65g tank

What company are you going with. My mother used Bay Area Underpinning. The addition that was put on the original house started to move away from the main house. They underpinned and lifted that section. Now we're noticing the main house is now moving. Just to be clear its normal for the area. We live in the Sunnybrae Neighborhood in San Mateo. It used to be tidal flats and there is 5ft of fill and the water table under our house is around 10ft.

What company are you going with. My mother used Bay Area Underpinning. The addition that was put on the original house started to move away from the main house. They underpinned and lifted that section. Now we're noticing the main house is now moving. Just to be clear its normal for the area. We live in the Sunnybrae Neighborhood in San Mateo. It used to be tidal flats and there is 5ft of fill and the water table under our house is around 10ft.
One of my neighbor used them and they seem to do a good job plus middle of the road pricing.

Yes, i am aware this is "normal" to some extent. It wasn;t level when i move in 14 years ago, but in the last year the rate of movement is higher that i am comfortable with. The re-level work is like pressing reset to the sinking in the past 60 years since the house is build. It will continue to move. Now that i will have adjustable foundation post, re-level the floor should be a lot easier in the future.

I asked about if i need additional support for the fish tank, and they said no. :) i have a LOT of support post in the crawlspace , every 4ft. Typically its 6ft.

Any of your neighbors have the same issues? Curious if you have a slab or stem wall foundation? I've seen foundations poured outa level but they adjust building the subfloor. If the whole house is slowly tilting over time you would definitely notice on the doors and windows. Especially the second floor since that two inch outa level compounds outa plumb.
Any idea how much the house outa plump?. Its a common issue around here especially on the flatlands near the bay. Fix was sinking piers or drilling deep holes poured with concrete &steele attached to the foundation to stop the sinking. I’ve come across 30 year old neighborhoods with foundations supported by piers in which the surrounding ground has sunk almost a foot and houses were fine just gota adjust utilities over time and hard landscaping. The price we pay for building on fill and marshlands. My Dad, brother and I all had our own Masonry Contracting companies here in the bay area and Tahoe. I got out years ago and moved on to other adventures otherwise wouldn’t have much of a back left down the road lol.
Best of luck hope the contractors consulted with a soil engineer to give you the best plan of action.!
Paul

not every neighbors, but good percentage of them do. I have both, slab and crawlspace. The min and high level delta in the house is 2 inch. Yes, windows and doors are sticking. This is not new, I knew about the settling in this area.

Yes, the "fix" is driving push pier 30-40ft or more into stable soil. I am getting 6 of these piers to address a problem corner plus changing the wood post in the crawspace to adjustable steel column.

My house is 60 years old. :) the contractor actualy say i don;t have a structural issue, but i rather getting this taken care off sooner. I can't imagine the cost to support the entire house on piers ($$$). It cost $2k+ for each pier.

Back