Our mission

LF: Reef Octopus Varios 4-S controller for skimmer or EE board knowledge

H2OPlayar

Supporting Member
Long story short, don't run your skimmer super wet and not have a good overflow plan. Also, don't leave AC/DC converters where water can build up.

@Srt4eric I know you said you had a controller, but does it work for the Regal 200 SS skimmer? This is the controller I think I need.

Does anyone else have one before I spend the $90 on a new one?

IMG_20220426_123536.jpg

Alternatively, @thesassyindian , the 0-10V port looks a little worse for the wear. Any guess what can be done here? If I open the circuit by prying the component off, could I solder some resister back on to mimic the controller port? Or did this blow something further back on the power circuit?

IMG_20220426_123433.jpg

Weird, it actually looks like that connector was hand solder (poorly) at one time.
It could be scorched from current/heat, especially with what looks like a thermal pad next to it, but it does not seem like it.

That control port likely expects a voltage, not a resistance.
You can generate that voltage easily with two resistors.
https://www.allaboutcircuits.com/tools/voltage-divider-calculator/

But then you need to know:
- what voltage to create.
- where to find a good power/ground, for your resistor ladder.
- input current. Most likely negligible, but not always.

And of course, it is no longer adjustable.

I don't really need adjustability, just on off works for me. Thanks for taking a look, and let me know if any more pictures would help.

Yes, that is the 0-10 v controller, so likely fried short means off? I could solder a resister in there but as you said, I have to guess the value.

I don't really need adjustability, just on off works for me. Thanks for taking a look, and let me know if any more pictures would help.

Yes, that is the 0-10 v controller, so likely fried short means off? I could solder a resister in there but as you said, I have to guess the value.
Yes, shorted out should tie it to ground, so off.

You need to fix that short before you even think of creating a new control voltage.

A thought for control voltage:
Find an old cheap 9V DC wall wart power supply.
Just connect it directly. Gnd-Gnd, 9V supply -> 1K resistor -> Input.
That should give you 90% on, all the time.

This might be way too late, but I have a brand new VarioS 4 controller. It's not for a skimmer though, not sure if that's helpful. Let me know if you'd like it.

I had to replace my pump, but didn't replace the controller.

Back