High Tide Aquatics

LF: Small Reef-Safe Rabbit Sculpture

MolaMola

Supporting Member
Instead of skulls, zombies, or Star Wars characters I am in search of a rabbit on which to grow an encrusting coral. 22 gal bookshelf tank (3' long) is about to get a restart and will include a Lunar New Year theme. Anybody seen an aragonite, terra cotta, ceramic, etc. rabbit?
Anyone use silicone molds such as these made for chocolate and such to make your own shapes? I assume the more shallow the mold, the better.
Screen Shot 2022-12-29 at 9.06.55 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-12-29 at 9.10.10 PM.png

Will a 3d print bunny sink though?

Using a silicon mold with E-Marco 400 I'm sure would probably work. I think I'd lean on the side of getting a mold of the larger side (3+ inches) rather than smaller because I think once coralline or other surface algae grows, the details will be gone and it might now even look like a bunny anymore.

Will a 3d print bunny sink though?

Using a silicon mold with E-Marco 400 I'm sure would probably work. I think I'd lean on the side of getting a mold of the larger side (3+ inches) rather than smaller because I think once coralline or other surface algae grows, the details will be gone and it might now even look like a bunny anymore.
Yes, especially if you make the bottom hollow and it fills with water. Alternatively you can print a voronoi style model which is almost totally holes.

Thanks for the ideas and the generous offer (@Srt4eric). I was trying to avoid plastic but I guess I use plastic mushroom cages, so why not. I'll first check with the shop teacher and new 3D printers; he never got back to me about printing plankton viewer adapters for microscopes and Tunze ATO pump holders.
Great minds think alike @Kensington Reefer - searched for a small Chia Pet rabbit and found a ton of random and hilarious figures but no bunny.
@RandyC - same thinking; all of our cool Star Wars objects became blobs when encrusted, some of which apparently look like boobs to 13-year-old boys. General rabbit shapes will be better, although I wonder about the round body with pointy ears...

Thanks for the ideas and the generous offer (@Srt4eric). I was trying to avoid plastic but I guess I use plastic mushroom cages, so why not. I'll first check with the shop teacher and new 3D printers; he never got back to me about printing plankton viewer adapters for microscopes and Tunze ATO pump holders.
Great minds think alike @Kensington Reefer - searched for a small Chia Pet rabbit and found a ton of random and hilarious figures but no bunny.
@RandyC - same thinking; all of our cool Star Wars objects became blobs when encrusted, some of which apparently look like boobs to 13-year-old boys. General rabbit shapes will be better, although I wonder about the round body with pointy ears...
You can stand in front of everyone hand out the bunnies and say "play, boys, play" ;).

Make sure they print with PET-G filament. That's the one that's supposed to be reef safe. The others may break down or leach. I mean, in years we'll find all this causes cancer including PET-G, but ...

Back