Jestersix

Losing power tomorrow.

PG&E was kind enough to send a letter to let me know they'll be replacing power poles in the area, unfortunately it means losing power from up to 9am to 5pm. Not prepared at all for this loss of power either, I got a vortech battery backup... but I have no idea where the cable is (or if the batteries even hold charge anymore... they got to be pushing 10 years easily), the upside is I have a lot of surface area, the only corals are some rhodactis mushrooms, the anemones probably won't like it much, but the fish should be fine... I'll be home with a straw to blow some bubbles in at random intervals :D

You can rent a generator for about $60/day at home depot, and there are
probably other places like United Rentals.

Thanks Mike I'll give you a text tomorrow or something, need to fish out the old vortech pumps first, but they should be in good working condition. Just hope the power pole getting changed doesn't affect the cell tower :D

If the fish are important to you I'd get a generator or at least a few air pumps. I had a customer loose power to his 280 gallon aquarium for 13 hours and all fish died but almost all coral lived. This just happened 2 weeks ago in tracy due to multiple transformers going out.

I have three belkin units and should have a cable or two; also I have a Tunze adapter for 12v batteries and couple tunze dc you can borrow...

...and I have a generator but have not tested it; has been sitting for a while but it’s supposed to run according to the previous owner.

Got some batteries so Im good to go, not sure how long they'll last but it should be fine regardless. thabks for the offee of help. Man they turned the power off at 9am exactly... my kid was none too happy as his morning cartoons went away :D

Cobalt just released some DC air pumps with backup power that last 24 hours. At least that will keep water agitated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

September ..I don't even know what day it is... 2pm... we're into the 5th hour of no power, with only my cell phone to talk to the outside world, I think starvation is setting in, no microwave for Hot Pockets, the electric igniter on the stove means no ability to cook food, I feel light headed... I now know what the early pioneers in this country felt like... what the Donner part felt like... those cats are starting to look tasty... but with no ability to cook them... I feel for the worst...

HALLELUJAH! Power is back, and I am saved from my insanity!

Turns out my super old Vortech battery backup still had enough to pull me through. Maybe because I didn't use it very much before?

Glad still works; I know if the batteries (SLA) are not used, something with the Sulphur happens and the battery is basically dead. I'll get to replace the one that is just a metal casing and work on the smaller units; well, at least at some point in time...

Back