Cali Kid Corals

Lumenarc question

I'm preparing to upgrade my reflector from a PFO to a Lumenarc Mini this week. My PFO is a little over 7" off the surface of the water, my understanding is that the Lumenarc is to be run higher off the surface of the water, am I correct? If so how high should I hang it? Also, I'm preparing to acclimate the corals as if I was changing to a new bulb by screening for a few days, sound good?

Don't take what I say to heart...I'm really just shooting from the hip here as dinner cooks :D

But I dont think you need to do anything to the height. The lumenarc doesn't make your bulb brighter, in fact it does the opposite, since it disperses the light more evenly you have less "hot spots" as the reflected light gets more evenly distributed.

That being said corals that were in "Crappier" locations, might do with some acclimation because they will be getting more light, however the ones in your brightest spots (right under the reflector) will be fine.

It doesn't make your bulb brighter but it definitely doesn't do the oposite. You will find that the lower part of your tank brighter and the corners brighter. keep it at 7" you will be fine.

Back