Reef nutrition

Mag level question

I have been testing my mag to see what my level sits at and I am consistently sitting at 1160. I have been reading that your mag should be at a cretin level compared to your SG. My SG is 1.025 which by what I am reading my mag should be at 1270. as far as my other parameters. I keep my Ca @ 440-450, Dkh 10, and Ph 8.3-8.4. If I am going to start using mag supplements what should be my target range and which supplement is good.

In the past, I have used Kent Tech-M and it's been fine. However, now that I switched salt to Seachem Reefsalt and DD H20 Pro salt, I find that I don't really need to supplement Mg. (In fact, I found my Mg a bit too high last month which I suspect has to do with the salt I was using... and aggressive water changes.)

If your Mg is consistently at 1160, you're probably using a salt that is slightly low in Mg like Instant Ocean.

I have used both Instant Ocean and Sea water and they both run lower. I have to add Magnesium to my water to get it to the level I want it and my target goal is 1300. I use B-Ionic Magnesium from ESV. I bought the 1 gallon size worried I was going overboard, but I can add 100-200ml at a time so I am glad that I did. I do like the B-Ionic Mag.

Reefdad said:
Actually I am using Sea water, this is why I am confused.

While it work O.K. for fish tanks, our NSW does not provide for reef tanks esp. the HMB crap, I'm on my second sinus infection of the year from swimming in that swill.

Like Jason said unless you have a huge load of SPS, if you do water changes with most high quality reef salts and R/O water your Mag should always be sufficient.

Back