Kessil

Mangrove Care!

Hella_Salty650

Supporting Member
Red Mangroves came in early! Excited to slowly start the acclimation process in the next few weeks. All came with couple leaves and roots and the stem is firm which is always a plus!

If anyone is interested, pm me! Purchased a couple extras in case others wanted some otherwise they gonna be a new tank project!

Attachments

• 8F7BE065-1FF4-432B-8DCA-E9F2EFE7B895.jpeg
    8F7BE065-1FF4-432B-8DCA-E9F2EFE7B895.jpeg
    151.9 KB · Views: 14

Arvin R

Supporting Member
Just got home with mine. Going to grow them out in my fw tank for awhile then acclimate them to salt and stick them out of the overflow box of my 25g lagoon.

I may end up getting another batch to grow out long term and see if I can make a mangrove aquascape biotope tank.

I'll be rigging up a light over them tomorrow.
20221125_224401.jpg

20221125_224408.jpg

Hella_Salty650

Supporting Member
Current setup:
- 2 Gal Tank, only using about 1 gal of RODI FRESH Water
-20w Heater set at 77Degrees Fahrenheit
- Air Bubbles
- Random Bulb found laying around the house

I was curious if there was anything that I needed to monitor while in FRESHWATER! I might have missed it in the Julian Sprung article but I did not see anything regarding care while in freshwater other than your typical temp, bubbles and light. The plan is to keep it in freshwater for at least 2 weeks before slowly acclimating into saltwater over the next period of weeks. My plan is to hopefully have them in my tank by February.

Chromis

Vice President
BOD
What I learned from putting mangroves and in a frag tank:
- the roots need to be covered so algae and vermatids etc don’t grow on them, which chokes the roots. Rocks, sand, mud will do as long as other stuff is deprived the opportunity to grow on the roots.
- you DO need to wash the salt build up from leaves and stems with freshwater every few weeks. I sprayed mine down with RODI water

Also in general what I learned about reef lighting on terrestrial plants
- full spectrum is better - they’ll be somewhat growth stunted under more blue light

Arvin R

Supporting Member
- the roots need to be covered so algae and vermatids etc don’t grow on them, which chokes the roots. Rocks, sand, mud will do as long as other stuff is deprived the opportunity to grow on the roots.
- you DO need to wash the salt build up from leaves and stems with freshwater every few weeks. I sprayed mine down with RODI water

- full spectrum is better - they’ll be somewhat growth stunted under more blue light
Ty for the info and your experience!

dochou

Supporting Member

Great advice. I had good success with growing them in freshwater but poor success in saltwater. In freshwater, it' just like growing any terrestrial plant. Just good water and light is all you need.