1. The 2014 BAR Members Only Frag Swap is today!

Become a member in order to participate in today's swap!
  2. Hey Bay Area Reefers!

Please excuse the mess as we're currently sorting out some technical issues with our new home page as it has thrown off our website URLs a bit.

Thank you for your patience!

Your Webmin

Mike's newest disaster...

Discussion in 'Tank Journals' started by sfsuphysics, Sep 27, 2016.

1. xcaret

xcaret Supporting Member

You are getting closer and closer to having a wet tank, the only water I can add to mine would be with a spray bottle.

2. sfsuphysics

sfsuphysics Supporting Member

Alright, no big updates, just some thought processes that I wanted to record for posterity.

First is the stand, I was heavily leaning towards one made from extruded aluminum (think 8020.net), seemed strong, lightweight, and a ton of fun to build. Then I basically priced it out and it's $250 just for the aluminum probably x2 when you add in all the fasteners, and while $500 isn't a lot for a stand, it is when you you can build one out of wood for 1/10th that cost. So yeah I'm kind of bummed I won't get to play with big kid erector sets, but the foot print is large enough that I don't have to worry about about saving space, so it seemed like a money waster... although I still might waste some money :D

Now I'm thinking about the 40G breeder that I'm going to use as the anemone tank, and whether or not I want to plumb it into the main tank. Part of me says yeah, because then that's additional equipment I don't need (sump, skimmer, heaters, maybe even no need for an additional return pump). But on the other hand I keep thinking about an anemone losing a tentacle getting chopped up and spreading out cnidocytes into the tank killing everything it touches, fyi that is what usually happens when an anemone gets chopped up by a pump and you get a major crash, it's not the bioload of a dead blob it's all the stinging cells and what they do to other critters.

bee505 likes this.
  3. xcaret

xcaret Supporting Member

You better resume work on the project, I got to cut some wood today. Has been long two months no day off until today.

4. sfsuphysics

Well I am working, a little bit at a time. I'm almost done with all the floor minus laying down the plywood. Need to get a truck for that since 4x8 sheets don't exactly fit too well in the Prius, and I'm not sure I want to put that much weight on the roof of the car.

Before plywoodI have to run all the conduit & piping before laying down the plywood though

5. xcaret

xcaret Supporting Member

I think plywood will fit in the van lmk and we can go grab the ply; I'll be gone next week Tuesday on for the thx giving holiday. Done working 7 days a week.

6. sfsuphysics

Cool. I'll need a lot of sheets of plywood, but for this application (tank) 4 will do for now, maybe one more for the stand top. There's a great deal of "get the fish tank done, then I can move everything over to that side of the room and demolish the other side, then rebuild that" action that will require another another 6 sheets at least. 3/4" ply is fairly heavy too, so don't want to kill your van :D

But I gotta still run stuff under the floor, so it might not happen before Thanksgiving anyways.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2017
  7. rygh

rygh BOD

If you still need help around Xmas time, I probably can help. Big truck. PM me.

8. sfsuphysics

Ok this is why you have a build thread, I forgot when I put the metal halide bulb on.... now I see it was back in January and probably is beyond it's useful lifespan. (it was one of the cheaper bulbs, but it still is brighter than a Kessil fixture!)