High Tide Aquatics

Monti Cap: White Spotting?

Could the nudibranches have already been in the live rock and not on the frags so dipping would not have prevented this?? Can there still be nudi's on the rocks and what do you do then?!

Bluprntguy is absolutely correct. Plan to keep at it for several weeks. It's fine to dip your coral even if they seem clean............be sure they are gone before you start re-glueing them in the tank. If you lose any, I have some red, orange and green caps I can give you. Don't stress too much. Just part of learning. I had these in my 300 over a year ago. I was able to get rid of them in a month. Minor set back. This will get you doing preventative dips before placing coral in the tank. That is a good thing. ;)

Thanks so much for the dipping techniques, and also thanks so much for offering your Monti's. I dipped every single piece prior to introduction to my tank. A QT is what I really need to set up. One sick coral isn't too bad, but when it spreads to the rest...that makes me sad.

It sounds like I mayyyy have to go monti-less for a while while I ensure these things are eradicated.

Could the nudibranches have already been in the live rock and not on the frags so dipping would not have prevented this?? Can there still be nudi's on the rocks and what do you do then?!

Have no live rock in my tank..I used Marco rock (mined, dry, no life) for the specific reason of preventing pests.

I will need to find out how long these guys can live on a rock if they are indeed on my rock.

luckily monti's heal easily/quickly!

... well at least all the one's i've had

Thanks for the encouragement Alfred! I sure hope that's the case. Much appreciated!

I will need to find out how long these guys can live on a rock if they are indeed on my rock.

Anyone know how safe it is to dip an entire rock?
Obviously it would kill all inverts on it, and need a lot of rinsing to remove residue.
But is that crazy, or just needs to be done really carefully?

Anyone know how safe it is to dip an entire rock?
Obviously it would kill all inverts on it, and need a lot of rinsing to remove residue.
But is that crazy, or just needs to be done really carefully?

That's a really good question. I was just joking with Devon the other day that I'm glad my tank only has 3 whole rocks in it. :p

I remember reading a thread on a board where someone misunderstood the dipping process and instead dosed their reef tank with Bayer. Nothing died apparently. You'd probably want to rinse the rocks pretty well.

Really, isolating the montis into a holding tank and leaving your DT fallow of montis for a few weeks is probably the safer way to make sure your rocks are rid of the buggers.

So I looked into the Bayer a bit.
There are two active ingredients : Imidacloprid and Cyfluthrin.
The Imidacloprid does not seem to be an issue.
The Cyfluthrin is, and is a concern for people also. Don't breath/touch it!
Some interesting numbers on lethal toxic levels of Cyfluthrin:
Fish : 1-5 parts per Billion. (Not Trillion)
Clams : 1 - 5 parts per Trillion.
Daphnia : 0.1 parts per Trillion

It is interesting that Daphnia need 1/10,000 the amount for fish.
A very big ratio.
Enough so that it is theoretically possible to directly dose a fish-only tank.

The big problem though : I have no idea on real concentrations in the bottle.

But the residue on a dipped rock, after rinse + some QT, seems pretty safe.

The only surviving Monti was the frag I gave you...the eggs must have not hatched back then. All other Monti's were decimated.

Nudibranchs weren't the only problem though...I had my Kessil set a bit too powerful, it didn't give the Monti's a very good chance at recovery. :/

I'm in sf and would be happy to frag you some of my red cap. Also have a stargazer cap I'm growing out. I'll frag it for you when it's a little further along. Sorry for your losses!

Back