Cali Kid Corals

Monti tips bleach.

humu

Noticed that the Red Cap and Jedi have some small areas of the tips that are bleached... Also Appleberry no longer has the blue polyps and looks like its starting to bleach... Setosa, Starburst Cap, Purple Monti, and Spongodes all have polyps extended and look healthy...

Any ideas? Tank parameters... Ca 450, Alk 5.8 dK, Mg 1250. SG1.026, Temp 77

I did a 15% water change yesterday, to see it helps any...

Whoa yeah 5.8 dkh is really low for alkalinity. I like to keep it at 9. Calcium at 450.

Increase your alkalinity but don't do it too fast.

Your low alkalinity might lower your pH or cause higher pH swings which is no good.

Magnesium I like to keep at least 1300

Temp I like to keep at 78-80 degrees.

Whoa yeah 5.8 dkh is really low for alkalinity. I like to keep it at 9. Calcium at 450.

Increase your alkalinity but don't do it too fast.
Magnesium I like to keep at least 1300
Temp I like to keep at 78-80 degrees.

(~45G water) Calculator says :141.4 ml / 4.7 fl oz So I am thinking 70 mL each day?

Mg at 1250 is close enough?

Temp used to drift 79-81 due to warm weather, but recent weather change has pushed down to my temp...will bump up...

I don't trust the calculator, but I think you may need to add what you're current dosing plus that amount.
good point... I will add 100ml when I get home this evening...and another 100 in the morning... That should hopefully raise it by 2dKH, which seems like a safe daily limit for raising dKH.... Will test to confirm, after first 100ml dose...

As a wise man (or someone who just often gets quoted) once said "Nothing good in this hobby changes fast"

2 dkH IMO is quite a huge swing, I've cringed in the past when I've done 1dKH a day change, I'd probably even say 0.5dKH is probably best, your montis are not going to turn around and stop bleaching that quickly just because you do a massive raise, and in fact quite the opposite might happen if you shock your system with too big of a raise.

Keep track of this though, after a week, see if your alk actually raised the appropriate amount, there could be something else that retards the raising of the alk, very often it's a magnesium thing, and sometimes having a high calcium and low alk is a sign of that, and continuing to add alk actually gets prevented because the Ca ions are already occupying where the Alk can go (or something other chemistry sounding like that :D)

Mg and ca shoukd be 3:1. Anything below 7 alk and sps is gonna start struggling fast. Is add 1 ml/gal per day max unkess dripping it in very slowly over a whole day or something

Thanks for your feedbacks...will 1/2 the dosage of alk and add a bit more Mg.... 1dkH/day...should be caught up in 2 days... ;)

Back