Our mission

My 200 gallon mixed reef tank

Those parameters looks okay if you're mixing to 1.025. I'd expect them to be slightly higher but I also run at 1.026. I generally shoot for Alk 8, Ca 420, Mg 1300, by order of importance.

So as others have stated if mag is too low, calcium can precipitate out. Mag should be about 3x calcium. I try to keep calcium between 400-450, mag at 1250-1400 personally. I’m still trying to get alk down, seems like it gets consumed quick. I wanna say 8-9 dkh is good. Main thing is getting numbers to be consistent, I’m still working on that lol

My buddy is telling me too to have alk around 8-9, magnesium at 1400 and calcium at 400 so pretty much what you are saying too! I will test everyday and see how much my current bioload takes. Im getting scared my clams will take too much nutrients and kill my tank haha.

Btw for these test kits, do you guys use gloves and a mask? Or no safety equipment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
My buddy is telling me too to have alk around 8-9, magnesium at 1400 and calcium at 400 so pretty much what you are saying too! I will test everyday and see how much my current bioload takes. Im getting scared my clams will take too much nutrients and kill my tank haha.

Btw for these test kits, do you guys use gloves and a mask? Or no safety equipment.

The alk is the important one. A little too much or too little of the other two may effect growth but drastic changes in alk (especially increases) will kill corals.

I’ve never used any safety gear while testing. Come to think of it, I’ve never used any safety gear ever in dealing with my tank. I was thinking about curing some rock with mercuric acid and I might have used something then but I used bleach instead.

The alk is the important one. A little too much or too little of the other two may effect growth but drastic changes in alk (especially increases) will kill corals.

I’ve never used any safety gear while testing. Come to think of it, I’ve never used any safety gear ever in dealing with my tank. I was thinking about curing some rock with mercuric acid and I might have used something then but I used bleach instead.

Gotcha! I will continue water changes weekly and start dosing as soon as I know the appropriate amount this weekend.

There are a LOT of different opinions about ideal Alk/Ca/Mg out there.
But that is "ideal."
The range of "acceptable" values is fairly wide, so don't stress too much
about chasing numbers.

The most common cause of problems is someone trying to "fix" what is not
really broken, and causing a rapid shift.
Sudden changes are bad.

There are a LOT of different opinions about ideal Alk/Ca/Mg out there.
But that is "ideal."
The range of "acceptable" values is fairly wide, so don't stress too much
about chasing numbers.

The most common cause of problems is someone trying to "fix" what is not
really broken, and causing a rapid shift.
Sudden changes are bad.

I figured since everythings growing and maintaining their beautiful color, Ill try to maintain or atleast get them a little higher to what everyone else has.

As soon as I find another tank on sale, I will run a test/quarantine tank... hehe. If its another 200 gallon red sea reefer... lets hope its a peninsula!! [emoji23]

ec8821f88e4d7ba265c7cf208cf1fa94.jpg

Exciting to see my first single polyp zoa popping out a baby.

Who was the person that donated the clowns to the frag swap auction and raffle? I forgot her name but got a crazy idea to have every different colored torch I can find and have them hosted by clowns on the right side of my tank since its so bare.

The baby clowns and juvenile clowns might be okay but adults can be rough on their chosen host. Unless the torches are large. I know that the anenome that host the clowns grows a lot fast and stronger with a clown in it do not know if this would be the same for the coral.

Not sure about torches, but my frogspawn, another Euphyllia, hasn't grown any since my onyx pair started hosting it more than a year ago.

Oh the coral Im getting are only 1-2 inch in diameter. Is that big enough to be hosted or should I let it grow out before adding clowns?

Thanks for the tag @JVU

I would let is grow. Clowns are funny and they may not host the torches at all. I know we put one in the display at Diablo Corals and the clowns host the $3000 bounce shroom.

Peters clowns host a ricordia mushroom and totally ignore two anemones and the torches/frog spawn/Framer.
It seems like you have added a lot to your tank in the first six weeks. I would be a little leery of a tank crash myself

Peters clowns host a ricordia mushroom and totally ignore two anemones and the torches/frog spawn/Framer.
It seems like you have added a lot to your tank in the first six weeks. I would be a little leery of a tank crash myself

Ive got tricks up my sleeve for cycling :).
Testing everyday to make sure though + weekly water changes. Everyones got me worried [emoji21]

Back