Neptune Aquatics

Nano Build Extraordinaire ~ 120 Gallon Mixed Reef

So it is finally coming together, after months of searching for the right tank and every possible combo of equipment, I have finally settled on a choice and now we are just waiting for it to be delivered... Here is the run down of equipment as it is currently spec'ed:

120 gallon glass aquarium with corner overflow (4x2x2 footprint)
photo-1-1.jpg

Custom 36' stand and Matching 16" canopy
2 AI Sol Blues
2 MP-40s
Eshopps rs-200 sump
Mag 12 return
Finnex 800w Titanium Heater
NAC-8 Skimmer
Apex Controller with
  • WXM Module
    VDM Module
    Leak Detection Module
Dedicated 20 amp & 15 amp service
Dedicated Cat 6 line

120 pounds of Dry Fiji Live Rock from BRS
120 pounds of Tropical Eden Reef Flakes substrate

Hopefully it will be wet in two weeks as all of the special order items have hit the store today :)

This it what happens when you are forced to wait and have nothing better to do on a sunday afternoon.

IMG_2272.jpg

Then I load it up with my rock and try out different configurations. The curent configuration has a ton of holes and open space which should be nice for fish and cleanliness. Best of all it os pretty stable without adhesives.
photo-1.jpg

This set-up was after a few hours of playing and then coming back later to make more space between the rocks for fish and flow. Now we need to get it in the tank and have it all match.

Ahh, master cardboard builder ;)

Looks like a great plan! I'd suggest a possible 3rd AI Sol depending on what you're going to keep.

I am most likely going to step it to 4 sol's but I wanted to see if 2 was enough like their website says. I have a plastic cross brace so three would make a nasty shadow but we shall see. The beauty of the sols is the modular design so I can add which is awesome.

PS I love my cardboard aquarium with cardboard overflow. Next step is cardboard fish and coral for the added realism...

It is an aquarium master tank. I really wanted to do an external California overflow but it started pushing the budget through the roof and where I am putting the tank, the plumbing would have been super visible and ugly.

Norcalhkr said:
It is an aquarium master tank. I really wanted to do an external California overflow but it started pushing the budget through the roof and where I am putting the tank, the plumbing would have been super visible and ugly.

I think you mean Calfo overflow? I have a coast to coast style which I DIY'd.

http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/equipment/54089-lets-see-those-coast-coast-calfo-overflows.html

I have 2 sols on same 120. It's all good. You can add a strip of DIY or reefbrite or ecoxotics. Etc if you need a bit more umph or coverage. I am planning on adding in some of the new violet LEDs on a strip attached to my sols at some point.

Coral Reefer - Thanks for the input, I was hoping the 2 would be enough and with my canopy I have plenty of room to add some extra diy leds if needed.

Yay! Today is tank day! Everything is in and will be delivered today. Unfortunately I can't be home when they deliver the tank but it should be all good when I get home from work.

Here are the first pics of the build going in.

First Bag of Sand
photo-1-3-e1363408057861.jpg

Sand In The Tank
photo-3-3-e1363407761615.jpg

First Rock Hits The Tank
photo-4-2.jpg

Fill 'er Up
photo-11-e1363408606478.jpg

Full Tank
photo-3.jpg

Sump Set and Ready to Go
photo-2.jpg

Well Crap, the bulkhead on the drain line is leaking. So now we have killed all the pumps, drained the overflow and removed the bulkhead to let everything dry out. Makes me nervous, going to bed with a hole in the tank, keeping our fingers crossed that the overflow holds until we can get a new bulkhead in the morning. if it doesn't I might have some brand new equipment for sale tomorrow as my wife will kill me.

The Problem Area
photo-3-4-e1363407972640.jpg

Draining Tools - Thankfully I had an auto-siphon from the beer brewing goodies to siphon out the overflow
photo-4-3-e1363407925770.jpg

Close-up of the Bad Bulk Head
photo-1-4-e1363408018572.jpg

Did you wrap the PVC generously in teflon tape? Also, did you crank the nuts on the bulkheads with a pipe wrench? That's what we did with Brandie's 90g to completely get her tank sealed.

denzil said:
Did you wrap the PVC generously in teflon tape? Also, did you crank the nuts on the bulkheads with a pipe wrench? That's what we did with Brandie's 90g to completely get her tank sealed.

We didn't use Teflon tape on the first go around but did use a pipe wrench to try and get her tight. Will be using Teflon on the second go and a good extra turn on the bulkhead wrench that I know have.

The good news is as of 3 am I still have plenty of water in the tank and the overflow area is dry. Still keeping fingers crossed but I also can't go back to sleep.

On to the next stage... Lights. After wondering through Lowes this morning I started to look at ways I can mount My AI SOLs securely. I found a solution, 1" square aluminum tubing and a bunch of measuring, cutting and drilling. I think it will be a nice compact look and I have nothing better to do while I wait on glue.

Getting everything together
photo-1-11.jpg

Marking Out the cuts and drill points
photo-3-11.jpg

If you haven't considered building rock structures with Emaco, you might take a look at this stage of your build.

I also have a bag of Emaco sitting around, might still be good but it's pretty humid in SF so I'd have to check. You can have some free, just pick it up.

Back