got ethical husbandry?

NanoCrazed's Lazy Tank(s) Journal

I inspect my scraper every time before I use it, and try to pay so much attention to if it leaves behind any scratches and I swear I have never seen it actually make the scratches yet somehow they magically appear....

My new toy just arrived!

Suuuuure, i could borrow the club's but you know for when i feel like fragging at the spur of the in the middle of the night. (How else can I rationalize it? )

20210308_144229.jpg

AquaJapan85
====

Just a follow up to my tank issues a few weeks back. Some SPS had tips burned, some browned, some bleached. Some chalices started receding, and my merulina colony had receding tips that eventually lead to losing the full colony. What I suspected was what I thought was no big deal, harmless extra trace and minerals dosing turned out to be too much of a good thing.

So did a Triton ICP before taking corrective actions to know what I the state of mess I had might have been... Nothing totally out of whack -- compared to the baseline i have from Sept. My Li was slightly higher, my phosphorous dropped... and thing like Tin was high but similar to my baseline before I experienced issues.

My conclusion is that it was definitely the excess trace that stressed the corals out. and probably that stress lead to bacteria taking hold of some pieces to run rampant.

That said, I thought folks might find it interesting to see what the differences are between Triton and ICP-Analysis tests. It should be noted the Triton is reported in ug / mg per liter while ICP-Analysis is in ppm. The values are converted from to ppm for ease of comparison.

The real mystery for me know is the high level of tin. I don't have a significant source of that that I can tell in my system. However, possible sources might be from PVC. I don't change water much and recently installed some new PVC pipes, which might explain the elevation in tin values. Compound containing tin is used as a plasticizer in some PVC manufacturing, i believe. And since I don't change water often, I do wonder whether the tin concentration is just trapped in my system since first time it got salty.

Lithium I can explain as coming from my trace dosing. It's an essential element to coral coloration. So heavy handed dosing would explain the rise in value given that my system is generally fixed.

On the positive, I switched to dosing with non-aquatic \ lab specific for 2 part + Mg out of sheer laziness. A&H super washing for alk (rather than bake baking soda), Prestone drievy heat for Ca+, and Dando Mg salt + epsom for Mg per RFH's recipes. The 2 ICPs (granted from different labs) shows that these DIY ingredients are fairly reef safe or at very least, don't contribute much impurities or negative elements to the system. And if they do, the concentrations are low enough, that an occasional WC would address. PLUS, the strontium coming from Prestone driveway heat seems to be the right amount of trace being dosed regularly... 10.45ppm was my baseline from Sept... fast forward about 5 months, and the value is 1ppm higher. So either, the contribution from the CaCl solution is negligible OR my corals are using up most of what I adding in above baseline.

1615273252571.png

Shroom-to-sps Frag
===

Well, that annoying. Miscalculated. Forgot to take the length of the cable head into account.

1/4" longer with cables plugged in than the edge so the feet doesn't sit on the table.

Almost ready to full put into production
20210313_131832.jpg

2.5G Marineland (new tank!)
===

Was a QT, now semi permanent fixture... BW nano. Sometimes you just don't need much.

Circulation pump, 100W heater, light. No filtration... just live rock and the nems.

20210312_234757.jpg

Aquajapan85-ish
===

Added some new torches after a full QT.

Getting to a point where i need to rehome my hammers and spawns... a new tank build maybe in order... hah!

20210313_132103.jpg

SPS frag. (Once shroom tank)
====
Finally decided to roll the dice no more... only took me 2 years. Had a controller and power brick pile up going. Originally everything was mounted but the mounts fell off and was too lazy to do anything about it. There was always tomorrow...and tomorrow...and tomorrow.

Got to a point I just couldn't stand it anyway more...and since i was working to convert my tank to sps, no excuse.

I was going down the pathbof building a custom shelf and cable management setup but then found a wire basket the fit the bill and EASY!

2 fish eyes, 2 L hook, and 1 basket later...

20210314_120305.jpg

Back