got ethical husbandry?

Need help with tank emergency

I took out chaeto and changed GFO about 4 days before leaving. I did rinse GFO, not a ton - just one strain through the media cartridge.

I don’t think I added chlorinated water. It’s the same rodi system I’ve been using and I added the same water to my frag tank and I don’t have any losses there.

I do have nems but none got into power head. No cucumbers, only 2 urchins.

Unfortunately no recordings.
Crazy.

Any other things you did to the tank before leaving? Last second pipe tweak it Kalk / doser change?

Any other last second things you did in the house before leaving? Cleaning products, mess with ventilation?

You said your family told you that things were bad. There someone still at the house? If so, and all other things were even, that'd be suspicious to me. Leave town, someone does something innocuous in the house trying to kill some bugs, or help the tank, or ... What were you doing to feed while gone?

Crazy.

Any other things you did to the tank before leaving? Last second pipe tweak it Kalk / doser change?

Any other last second things you did in the house before leaving? Cleaning products, mess with ventilation?

You said your family told you that things were bad. There someone still at the house? If so, and all other things were even, that'd be suspicious to me. Leave town, someone does something innocuous in the house trying to kill some bugs, or help the tank, or ... What were you doing to feed while gone?
Nothing else in tank changed. I only topped off my two part.

Didn’t do anything to house as my in laws were staying. They know not to use cleaning products near tank but I’ll double confirm with them.

The only thing I had to feed them was an eheim auto feeder with a mix of pellets. I’ve used the same pellets to feed normally and when I left on vacation before.

Sorry to hear this. I also suffered a massive fish loss on vacation about month and 1/2 ago. All fishes lost except for a wrasse. It sucks.

All tank parameters looked ok in my tank . In my case it is assumed a fish disease due to introduction of new fish in previous month.

That the larger fish died in your tank but not the smaller ones nor coral does not suggest any sort of environmental poisoning-ie chemicals- as the corals should be much more responsive to it.
Hence GFO as well.

Any introduction of new fish/inverts in last month?

ICP testing may help with any contamination and aquabiomics could help with any disease/bacteria in the tank. Not cheap but cost efficient before you add expensive fish back in the tank.

Sorry to hear this. I also suffered a massive fish loss on vacation about month and 1/2 ago. All fishes lost except for a wrasse. It sucks.

All tank parameters looked ok in my tank . In my case it is assumed a fish disease due to introduction of new fish in previous month.

That the larger fish died in your tank but not the smaller ones nor coral does not suggest any sort of environmental poisoning-ie chemicals- as the corals should be much more responsive to it.
Hence GFO as well.

Any introduction of new fish/inverts in last month?

ICP testing may help with any contamination and aquabiomics could help with any disease/bacteria in the tank. Not cheap but cost efficient before you add expensive fish back in the tank.
No fish or inverts. Only frags.

Thanks for the suggestion on the tests; I will order them.

I’m so very sorry to hear about your pets. As a rule of thumb I try not to do any adjustments to my system right before a vacation. If you would like help when you’re ready replacing your livestock DM me and we can work something out. Once again very sorry.

I’m so very sorry to hear about your pets. As a rule of thumb I try not to do any adjustments to my system right before a vacation. If you would like help when you’re ready replacing your livestock DM me and we can work something out. Once again very sorry.
I don’t think any of the things I did were considered adjustments. Just regular maintenance

So apparently some good news; the blue star that I thought was done for ended up pulling through. It looks as if nothing was wrong with it.

Then could it point to an oxygen situation?

What's your pH and temperature look like during the questionable time period on the apex? Just trying to see if something indicates a loss of flow or skimmer shut off. I know the wattage for the return didn't change, but maybe something blocked the flow for a bit then cleared? Still trying to come up with ideas, but again sorry to hear what happened.

What's your pH and temperature look like during the questionable time period on the apex? Just trying to see if something indicates a loss of flow or skimmer shut off. I know the wattage for the return didn't change, but maybe something blocked the flow for a bit then cleared? Still trying to come up with ideas, but again sorry to hear what happened.
Temp was between 77-78 the whole time. Unfortunately don’t have a working PH probe

I have had them go crazy and just keep spinning a couple of times, pretty easy to notice the pile of pellets tho.
I was thinking the in-laws over feeding a ton somehow
So I’m back home and don’t notice anything amiss. I do have quite a bit of nuisance algae growth, but that could be related to the fish death. However I don’t think they were in the tank long before Eric removed them so perhaps an unlikely pollutant.

Perhaps it was an auto feeder issue? Could overfeeding that much cause oxygen depletion? The remaining food didn’t seem overly depleted.

Back