got ethical husbandry?

Need wiring diagram for Hamilton dual 250w halide setup

hi everyone i searched around google and other reef sites but wasn't able to find anything. i have a hamilton dual 250w ballast with the harness which has a green, black, white, red, dark yellow and yellow wires. I am not sure which wires goes to which mogul socket??? i will be running (2) 250w SE halides. any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Does that have a plug on it already? I'm guessing not since there's 6 wires, 3 to the plug, two to the socket, 1 on the socket/fixture.

If I had to make an educated guess green, black and white are your power wires. However the other ones? Man hard to say, don't know what's with these non-standard colors. Is this an electronic ballast? magnetic? If its magnetic you probably can figure out what goes where by looking at which wires come from the capacitor and tar ballast.

yes it already has a 3 prong cord connected to it already. i have the ballast that is all the way towards the bottom of this page: http://www.hamiltontechnology.com/shop/?shop=1&cart=306138&cat=6&

i have the plug that plugs into the back of that and its a 6 prong cord...the end of that plug has all of the colors that i have mentioned. Not sure if its magnetic or electronic. No one else is running this ballast?

Well if it has a plug already to it, then I would almost lean towards black and white go to your bulb, green is the ground, and the other colors should be terminated (cap + electrical tape).. that's assuming all the components are hooked up M58 ballast + cap.

If you can open it up and see the guts compare it agianst this diagram
http://www.hellolights.com/wiring_diagrams/m57,m58,m59.pdf

should be pretty straight forward, my dual 175w ballast also has a few wires that don't do anything, they're simply coming out of the ballast.

i think its a dual 250w setup so its going to be firing 2 250w bulbs??...ill probably look inside tomorrow and compare it with that diagram

yeah the one you said at the bottom of the page is m58 ballast, so if you can peak instead if there are two cylinders (capacitors) that means it's a dual ballast.

yea there is 2 of them but im confused out of my mind right now...so after looking inside at the ballast and the wires, i was able to identify each wire from each capacitor that goes to each lamp which is a red and a orange wire. Now looking for the other wires is confusing, the white wire from the power cord is connected to two COMM wires (one from each ballast) and the black wire on the power cord is connected to a SPST switch for the ON position. Now the black wire on the harness (one that connects to mogul sockets) is connected to the 120v wires from each ballast AND a wire coming from the SPST switch as the OFF position. The white wire on the harness is connected to two COMM wires (one from each ballast). Now the thing that is confusing me after looking at the diagram you gave me was...isnt the 120v wires supposed to go to the black wire on the power cord instead of the harness? And the black wire of the harness be used as one of the wires for the mogul socket??? I called and emailed Hamilton and they told me they don't know which wire is which and suggests me to take it to a qualified electrician. If anyone can help me on this i greatly appreciate it.

Back