High Tide Aquatics

neuro's 60 gallon cube

A pic with my Note 4. It's insanely hard to capture the color temps using the camera software

There are 14 different kinds of SPS in this pic.

rSJ6rlcl.jpg

I only have time for partial water changes, and I'd rather not forget anything I've observed, so the following is just for record keeping for me:

Chemistry and Equipment:

- The higher the alk, the faster my magnesium gets depleted. 10 Kh == ~1 cup of mag a week to keep levels up and 1 cup per water change.
- High alk produces calcium precipitate like no other. Everything gets clogged, requiring vinegar baths on everything every two months or less. Lower Alk helps tremendously.
- Alk swings are quickly expressed through my green slimer. If it doesn't look good or starts dying before anything else, you know something is wrong with my dosing.
- Magnesium swings are quickly expressed through my sunset and jedi mind trick montiporas. Nothing else will tell you immediately when mag dosing is off.
- UV needs bi monthly if not tri monthly algae cleaning.
- High capacity GFO is heavy. Hard to get a tumble.

Livestock:

- Iron clad SPS are my cali and blue torts, along with my Strawberry lemonade. Seems like they bare the brunt of swings like no one's business. Cross my fingers, knock on wood. They are also the slowest to grow.
- After the last tank crash, most high-end zoas and Acans do not experience a major change in polyps. They either shrink to just a few heads, or don't grow more than twice their original colony numbers.
- My melanarus wrasse likes to hide and sleep like she's dead at night: on the side and barely breathing.
- I hear loud pops every night when I begin night mode. Has been going on since I had the tank. Sounds like the glass is expressing a single crack, or the crack of a whip--just one loud crack. Can't find source. Can't tell if prior fish deaths are related, since there hasn't been a missing fish in a long time. Not including the ones that decided to jump. Not a lot of places to hide.

I used to hear those pops at night from my old 140g. Freaked me out. Thought the tank was going to burst. :). Never did find a pistol shrimp either.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Trochus snails in jills tank will shake their shells really hard and make clicking loud sounds against the glass.

We thought it was a pistol shrimp because of how loud it was but i caught the snail doing it several times.

I used to hear those pops at night from my old 140g. Freaked me out. Thought the tank was going to burst. :). Never did find a pistol shrimp either.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Pistol shrimp somewhere or a mantis for the loud pops.

I haven't the slightest clue as to how a pistol or mantis would have gotten into my tank. I haven't put anything in my tank that I haven't inspected with an eagle eye. So this really dumbfounds me!

Trochus snails in jills tank will shake their shells really hard and make clicking loud sounds against the glass.

We thought it was a pistol shrimp because of how loud it was but i caught the snail doing it several times.
My big hermit also hits the glass when he's grazing those corners...

I thought the same, but my tank is almost devoid of hermit and snails. I've also observed a trochus do what you mention, but it's no where as loud as what I'm hearing.

Anyone know how I can find the culprit?

Actually trochus can make that sound when they're spinning their shells back on forth. They done that on my heater and my internal over flow. That's also a real possibility, its loud I can hear it across my living room and caught a couple of them in the act. The other was trying to nudge others off its shell.

WOW - yes, great video but I've seen this tank in person and it is just so clear, clean, and vibrant with colors that the camera cannot capture!! Everything has grown quite a bit and looks amazing, Alfred - Great Job!! (Looks like your nem has stayed put and your clam is still happy!!) How do you get anything else done around the house? I would just be staring at the tank all day long!

Nice tank! How do you keep the coralline off the bottom?

Thanks yip! For some reason, coralline doesnt grow there. I've seen it start to grow, but it disappears quickly. I've had other tanks where it was impossible to prevent it.

Coralline in my tank only grows where the light doesn't touch--like the undersides of my rock. Go figure..

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Back