Kessil

New Instant Ocean Reef Crystals bucket has low magnesium

Hi all! I tested my tank's mag and its low, around 1200. I just tested the bucket I did a large WC with and it's mag is also low, below 1200. Reef Crystals is supposed to be 1450-1500ppm and that's usually what I test at. I will now test the rest of the buckets parameters to be safe. If they're acceptable besides mag, should I toss the bucket or bring mag up each WC?

Instant Ocean wants a sample and will be sending out a new bucket. I ordered Kent magnesium supplement in the mean while. I dont want any torch bailout caused by sub 1200 mag! I like to keep mine at 1500.

I ran to Neptune. $47 for ESV liquid mag. More than a new bucket of salt, ouch.
I've never heard of any negative effects of mag at 1200. You can come get some of the brs mag supplement from me in the meantime if you want.

I would add it over 3-4 days.
Next time I’m texting you first!

It’s much harder to lower Mg than it is to raise it. Mg testing is sometimes inaccurate for whatever reason. Go slow and test as you go.

Then buy better salt for next time

After being a little overzealous with magnesium additive, I'm now at 1350. I didn't mean to spike it beyond 100ppm but life goes on. I will do the suggested 50ml/day for two more days.

Have you confirmed with a secondary source that your test results are accurate?

Edit: Err, n/m, re reading the work scrollback I see your later message said that you were going to do so. That'd be my first check if I got a weird number. Possibly just test a secondary source if you have one.

Slow? Red Sea says no more than 10ppm change in Mg per day… although I usually add 20-30ppm at a time.

Also check your salinity, could your salinity be low in either your tank or new salt mix?
B214C807-5682-44F1-B087-50C829E3C05C.jpeg

I believe esv mg also has trace elements so something to be wary of
Yeah there's always some impurities in these depending on the grade and they add quite a bit of sulfate to the tank since they typically don't use balanced ratios of MgCl and MgSO4 (mainly because epsom salts are way cheape than chloride).

Back