Kessil

New RedSea Nano Tank

Invictus

Secretary
BOD
This new AIO nano tank by RedSea is pretty cool. REEFER MAX NANO G2+
Massively expensive as usual, but with a built in roller mat, skimmer, ATO, etc.

Pending reviews, this looks like a cool AIO option for those with a big budget.
redsea.PNG

I have the predecessor and I would never buy this again, or recommend buying this. The lack of a real sump and the finicky handling of the rear area, and lack of options for a proper skimming are only some reasons. There seems to be some improvements made but none of this improves on its shortcomings. I would always pick one of the IM options over this with a proper sump. Or if it has to be a RedSea, then the first size with a sump (170 I believe).

I have the predecessor and I would never buy this again, or recommend buying this. The lack of a real sump and the finicky handling of the rear area, and lack of options for a proper skimming are only some reasons. There seems to be some improvements made but none of this improves on its shortcomings. I would always pick one of the IM options over this with a proper sump. Or if it has to be a RedSea, then the first size with a sump (170 I believe).
I have the Max E 170 and the rear sump is super annoying. Only plus side of that one is it’s plumbed for a sump upgrade already which I’m thinking about doing. This was my first “real” reef tank and something about a sump worried me but now I wish I would’ve gone that route in the first place

Thanks for your input. I was wondering w/ the diagrams that RS posted -how much of a PIA maintenance might be getting components in/out. Also skeptical of that skimmer.

I will say though I am curious to see the new nano-roller in play. It will be automatic just not wi-fi enabled. I have the reefmat 500 and love it. I don’t think I would ever have another tank without a roller mat.

Thanks for your input. I was wondering w/ the diagrams that RS posted -how much of a PIA maintenance might be getting components in/out. Also skeptical of that skimmer.

I will say though I am curious to see the new nano-roller in play. It will be automatic just not wi-fi enabled. I have the reefmat 500 and love it. I don’t think I would ever have another tank without a roller mat.
My other tank has a 57 gallon sump which does not (yet) fit a roller. I knew this limitation before buying it. I know folks love their roller, but from all maintainance I am doing for this tank, this is by far the easist. I am using disposable reef diaper and filter floss, nitrate is at 3 and phosphate at 0.04. Super easy to clean. For the nano, the filter floss with a cup also worked very well with super low nitrates if needed. I think rollers are most likely great, and I know you love yours, but I am still not sold on the significance of the benefits given the other options.

P.S.: I know from yesterday’s talk that ‘we’ do not care about nitrates and phosphates :). I still do but I am not saying that I want to keep them that low, in fact I am trying to raise them right them a little, but not successful yet, and do not want to use the roids.

Looked up the reef diapers-def a neat solution that I will keep in the future for my “fantasy” tank- that is any other fish tank in the house!

Unfortunately I was not there last night so I don’t know the context -I do know from a prior talk that rich gave that ignore nitrates/phosphates in respects to algae management -that I do-

But when I keep my PO4 on the lower side (.1)and the PH at 8.1-8.3 my acros seem a whole lot happier. Think the other corals don’t care. Kenny runs that one peninsula tank at some ridiculous PO4 rate -and it looks gorgeous.

Looked up the reef diapers-def a neat solution that I will keep in the future for my “fantasy” tank- that is any other fish tank in the house!

Unfortunately I was not there last night so I don’t know the context -I do know from a prior talk that rich gave that ignore nitrates/phosphates in respects to algae management -that I do-

But when I keep my PO4 on the lower side (.1)and the PH at 8.1-8.3 my acros seem a whole lot happier. Think the other corals don’t care. Kenny runs that one peninsula tank at some ridiculous PO4 rate -and it looks gorgeous.
Seconding the use of Reef Diapers. I'm lazy, I know I won't bleach, wash, etc. cloth filter socks, and I've been using these for ~8 months in my DT.

Seconding the use of Reef Diapers. I'm lazy, I know I won't bleach, wash, etc. cloth filter socks, and I've been using these for ~8 months in my DT.
I don’t call it lazy-rather ecological conservation-how much water is wasted bleaching, then washing/rinsing them out.

Still, might be lazier than you @IOnceWasLegend -just need to change the roll every 3-4 months.

If we were all that lazy though -I’d think we would all not be taking up reefkeeping as a hobby.

I don’t call it lazy-rather ecological conservation-how much water is wasted bleaching, then washing/rinsing them out.

Still, might be lazier than you @IOnceWasLegend -just need to change the roll every 3-4 months.

If we were all that lazy though -I’d think we would all not be taking up reefkeeping as a hobby.
100% on the filter roller. I think it would have cost an additional ~$1200-1400 to upgrade my sump for the filter roller + purchase one, so I opted against it. But that's definitely on my list if I ever upgrade my tank.

Wow- I can def see the cost issue there. I was fortunate (or unfortunate as some may view it) that I have a Red Sea tank so it was a nominal cost +roller mat. Now that I think about it- If I had to purchase a new sump plus cost of roller mat (~$800) -would have probably looked for alternate methods for mechanical filtration.

100% on the filter roller. I think it would have cost an additional ~$1200-1400 to upgrade my sump for the filter roller + purchase one, so I opted against it. But that's definitely on my list if I ever upgrade my tank.
I just wanted to use the pre made plumbing from IM. Their sump was as expensive as others where the roller would have fit. But then there is the cost of the roller...

I will say that roller filters are not necessarily the end all be all of mechanical filtration. A lot of reviews I read on various models/brands actually made me wary given the issues pointed out by others.

Red Sea though I think hit it out of the park with their line -I have only had one real issue -where the motor gear died. They sent me one within a week and was back in business.
Otherwise they work and I like the app -so i can leave it alone for 3 months.

Back