Cali Kid Corals

New Reefer in The City!

Hi everyone! Long time freshwater, planted aquarium tank owner here. First time saltwater tank/reefer! During Black Friday, I purchased a Fluval Evo 13.5 to get started. I'll start a tank journal as soon as I get it going.

I'm used to having freshwater, planted tank resources in SF like Aquaforest, but I don't know of any reef/saltwater tank resources in the City. I've gone to 6th Avenue Aquarium, but I'm concerned with the quality of their livestock. Can anyone provide any recommendations? Thanks!

Welcome! Not too much in the city these days, but if you're willing to venture out to the East Bay/So. Bay, there are a few choices for much better livestock than you will find in SF.
Yeah. I know of all the great options around the Bay. I was just hoping to find a place where I won't have to drive so far away.

Steve at Lucky Ocean in Inner Richmond is good about the quality of his livestock, but doesn’t always have the largest inventory. You should listen to your gut re 6th ave.

For corals, lots of folks in the city that have been helpful, and Don’t Break the Chain has been pretty active as of late. It really is true the membership pays for itself.

Neptune’s (South Bay) and Aquatic Collection (East Bay) really are worlds different than anything in the city when it comes to coral inventory.

Welcome to the hobby. I am down to a small 14 gallon Innovative Marine tank. So, I can relate to your small setup. It definitely takes a bit closer watching than a larger tank but water changes are a breeze.

Welcome! I’m in the city too. I try to share zoanthids and other corals with the club so I’ll be a close source of frags. Neptune and Aquatic collection are both worth the trek

Welcome @Blackfysh! I am just south of the city, in Daly City, and I have the exact same tank!!

There is another LFS in San Mateo called Ultimate Aquarium, which I only visit for emergency RODI or for frozen food.
Everything else there is very overpriced with an unhealthy markup :/

Now that you've joined this club, you probably won't need to visit any LFS for corals anyway :p

Oh and don't forget to make a tank journal if you haven't already!! We would all love to see the progression!

IMO 6th ave is okay for livestock as long as you go sunday bag sale where they keep them in the bags from the wholesaler, that way the fish never touch their water. Good prices too

Welcome @Blackfysh! I am just south of the city, in Daly City, and I have the exact same tank!!

There is another LFS in San Mateo called Ultimate Aquarium, which I only visit for emergency RODI or for frozen food.
Everything else there is very overpriced with an unhealthy markup :/

Now that you've joined this club, you probably won't need to visit any LFS for corals anyway :p

Oh and don't forget to make a tank journal if you haven't already!! We would all love to see the progression!
Thanks! I know this group will be a great resource, but I still would like to support our LFSs.

Steve at Lucky Ocean in Inner Richmond is good about the quality of his livestock, but doesn’t always have the largest inventory. You should listen to your gut re 6th ave.

For corals, lots of folks in the city that have been helpful, and Don’t Break the Chain has been pretty active as of late. It really is true the membership pays for itself.

Neptune’s (South Bay) and Aquatic Collection (East Bay) really are worlds different than anything in the city when it comes to coral inventory.

Welcome to the hobby. I am down to a small 14 gallon Innovative Marine tank. So, I can relate to your small setup. It definitely takes a bit closer watching than a larger tank but water changes are a breeze.
I don’t live too far from Lucky Ocean. I used to buy my freshwater livestock from Steve. I’d completely forgotten he had some saltwater livestock and corals.

Living in an apartment in the city, I don’t foresee myself getting anything larger than a 30 gallon tank. Space is limited for the tank, and also mixing and making water will be a pain. I can’t exactly keep the big Rubbermaid tubs anywhere in my apartment! I’m stuck with the 5 gallon buckets from Home Depot unfortunately.

I don’t live too far from Lucky Ocean. I used to buy my freshwater livestock from Steve. I’d completely forgotten he had some saltwater livestock and corals.

Living in an apartment in the city, I don’t foresee myself getting anything larger than a 30 gallon tank. Space is limited for the tank, and also mixing and making water will be a pain. I can’t exactly keep the big Rubbermaid tubs anywhere in my apartment! I’m stuck with the 5 gallon buckets from Home Depot unfortunately.
oh! l feel your pain :(
I'm in the same boat .

I’m also in an apt and like the 12 gallon totes from Costco. I mix 9 gallons at a time cause I wouldn’t want to fill it to the top. Then I can do 2 4.5 gal water changes. Just a bit larger than the bucket. I like that they stack so I store them in a closet with sw in one and then stack another on top with assorted pumps and reefing stuff

79380C31-CD05-4D85-96AA-A2A4C1DD6BF3.jpeg

Back