Jestersix

New RODI setup, please review and comment

Klems

Supporting Member
I picked up one of the BRS 7 stage RODI units during BF sale and wanted to run my setup idea past the community to see if I have everything mapped out properly or if changes need to be made. Here is a rough sketch of what I am planning...
TIA
Ken
IMG_20191204_104000160.jpg

I mean it looks like it'll work for what you want it to do apparently. I've never been a fan of RO drinking water, just seems like a waste of water, but so is buying bottled water too so hey :)

I actually did something similar with my setup, minus the RO drinking water & valves, by having each section on separate boarde

You need to watch the drinking of RO water. As a PhD chemist I have run large RO and distillation units. If you remove all the minerals from your water then the solvating power of the water will remove the minerals from your body. For example highly RO/DI water will remove the metal atoms from stainless steel. In the bay area we have 2 main sources of water. The water from the Sierras is quite low in dissolved minerals/metals. The ground water or local reservoirs the other had is relatively high. If the water is ground water I would recommend a softening unit before the carbon units to remove the bulk of the dissolved Ca. The Bay Area can be complicated in understanding the water sources during the year. Parts of the peninsula switch between the 2 sources. You might also want a valve after the DI columns.

Last edited:
Should work well.
I have the exact same 7 stages.
It is unclear from drawing if you have a flush valve. You do want that.

Ahh ... the debate on drinking RO water....
From what I can tell : It is fine to drink, but the STORAGE matters.
It can leech minerals from pipes and storage containers, which could be bad.
It no longer has chlorine, so can grow bacteria easily.
But for drinking, your saliva quickly adds plenty of ions, so quite safe if you have a balanced diet.

It does come with a flush valve pre installed. Maybe I am wrong but isn't the water from most water stores RO....or is it just filtered / purified?

Should work well.
I have the exact same 7 stages.
It is unclear from drawing if you have a flush valve. You do want that.

Ahh ... the debate on drinking RO water....
From what I can tell : It is fine to drink, but the STORAGE matters.
It can leech minerals from pipes and storage containers, which could be bad.
It no longer has chlorine, so can grow bacteria easily.
But for drinking, your saliva quickly adds plenty of ions, so quite safe if you have a balanced diet.
my wife has this weird thing about drinking the RO output from the system I am using for my tanks... so that's debatable, too! lol.

Solving for it with a tankless RO unit -- 500 GPD! just for the kitchen sink with UV add-on.

It does come with a flush valve pre installed. Maybe I am wrong but isn't the water from most water stores RO....or is it just filtered / purified?
The water coming before the membrane is "filtered" same as using a Brita filter.... after the RO membrane, it's RO water -- super filtered I suppose. Then RO/DI after the DI stage :)

Looks great to me.

I’d suggest a “remineralization” filter after your RO membrane. This will add back the calcium and magnesium to the water. It adds great taste and ensures your not drinking all the chemicals and other nasty stuff in our drinking water.

I just run a separate RO system under my sink. I don’t want my tanks RO system to run often and need to be flushed regularly.

Looks like if I add a teaspoon of Himalayan sea salt to a gallon of RO, it will replenish all of the trace elements we need.

Looks like if I add a teaspoon of Himalayan sea salt to a gallon of RO, it will replenish all of the trace elements we need.
Just funny ... to get sea salt from the tallest mountains.
And how is it pink? Extra minerals from yellow snow?

I would look into the specifics of what the trace elements might be relative to what you might find from say spring water... himalayan salt, from what I recall reading before, is 96 - 98% NaCl and remaining % of other things.

Back