High Tide Aquatics

New tank - Corals unhappy, water params look ok + diatoms?

Just stop worrying about you’re ph. It beryblikely is not your problem. If you dose vinegar it’s going to cause you nitrate and phosphate to get even lower. Don’t do that

Just stop worrying about you’re ph. It beryblikely is not your problem. If you dose vinegar it’s going to cause you nitrate and phosphate to get even lower. Don’t do that
I had read that chasing pH is a recipe for a tank crash! I did decide to wait this out... my algae bloom as is dropping my nitrates as it is.

Even with over feeding, I’m not able to bring the nitrates back up to about 10ppm.

Since I have just the one fish, I’m thinking of adding another clown and a goby to increase waste and therefore nitrates. Do you think the goby would do ok in the sand that’s covered with dinos?

I had read that chasing pH is a recipe for a tank crash! I did decide to wait this out... my algae bloom as is dropping my nitrates as it is.

Even with over feeding, I’m not able to bring the nitrates back up to about 10ppm.

Since I have just the one fish, I’m thinking of adding another clown and a goby to increase waste and therefore nitrates. Do you think the goby would do ok in the sand that’s covered with dinos?
You said diatoms before. Which one is it? You can dose nitrates to raise them a little.
I still recommend an icp test to check silca.

Mine (bar goby) did okay burrowing in dino-gunked sand. Though it might also depend on the type of dinos, if that's what you have; ostreopsis is more likely to be toxic (noted for killing off the CUC), prorocentrum is less toxic, amphidinium even less so.

If you're concerned about nitrates/want to try to bump them up, I have a bottle of nitrate dosing solution (NeoNitro) and I can give you some when we coordinate the sand/water sample dropoff.

Just to let you know, for the first 9 months, I had issues with my tank as well, I almost quit the hobby. Just make sure your window is open a little, so the ph will not go down, and do water changes every 2 to 3 weeks and wait. I think that is what I would do.
You, don't really need an apex cuz you will spend a lot of money. But you will need a ph reader eventually. Or maybe try using API test kits.

Just read your tank journal and I’m interested to learn what you did to get from here to there. This was end of June and now your tank looks great in August. How’d you do it?

Back