got ethical husbandry?

New to reefs, the club, and keeping a journal

Haha... trig jokes:p.
Couldn't resist...:D

I started with a single Koralia 425, then added another to get a swirling type of effect. But like you're describing, they seemed very focused and because of the small size of the tank, I would see one part of a coral blowing in the current, while the other part wasn't moving at all. Ended up sinking the cash into a Vortech MP10, which solved both the focused stream issue and allowed for pulsing effect, which people seem to think is preferable to a constant, continuous flow. They can be pain sometimes (mine fell off a couple of times, and got randomly noisy - until it was replaced under warrantee), they're expensive, and you cant "aim" them, but overall I'd say it was as big an improvement for the tank as the Kessil was.

Couldn't resist...:D
I started with a single Koralia 425, then added another to get a swirling type of effect. But like you're describing, they seemed very focused and because of the small size of the tank, I would see one part of a coral blowing in the current, while the other part wasn't moving at all. Ended up sinking the cash into a Vortech MP10, which solved both the focused stream issue and allowed for pulsing effect, which people seem to think is preferable to a constant, continuous flow. They can be pain sometimes (mine fell off a couple of times, and got randomly noisy - until it was replaced under warrantee), they're expensive, and you cant "aim" them, but overall I'd say it was as big an improvement for the tank as the Kessil was.

I strongly recommend getting an Ecotech MP10 if you have the budget. It made a big difference in coral health in our first 29g nano tank (I also started off with Korallia nano 425s).

If you are on a tighter budget, consider buying one used or trying one of the Jebao RW-4 or RW-8 pumps. Jebaos aren't bad but you will likely have to replace them in a year or two, while the Ecotechs are higher quality and have better reliability (and full support of the manufacturer).

Wow I had no idea how sophisticated these pumps could get! Also I thin that it is interesting that you consider the mp10 to have a more important affect than the Kessil, The wet dry design is very interesting and I like how you keep a source of electricity out of water. But man are they expensive:eek:! Thanks for the idea of a Jebao RW-4. It is really impressive how Jebao is able to offer equipment with similar designs at the prices they do.

But after reading some comparison reviews on Reef2reef and Reefcentral you of course get what you pay for from ecotech in the form of they amazing customer service. There were multiple there where his pump broke a couple months out of warranty and they still replaced it! On the other hand customer service for Jebao seems to be nonexistent

Alas I think I will probably look into giving the Jebao a shot first due to budget :) Thanks for answering my questions!

I've been running 2 RW4s for a while now. No problems at all though I had to soak them in vinegar once due to calcification on the shafts from a doser incident.

If I adjust them just the right way, I can have water sloshing over the top of my tank. Tank is 32" long.

I like the design on the Ecotech MP series but I've heard some very loud ones. The RWs have been dead silent so far. I hear my MJ1200 reactor pump and my skimmer pump more than I do the RWs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back