Reef nutrition

No Skimate coming from Skimmer

2manyhobbies

Supporting Member
My protein skimmer, a Euro-Reef, has been operating continuously for about 9 years. I did replace the pump a few years ago. Two weeks ago, it stopped producing any skimate. I checked and cleaned the pump and needle wheel and there is good flow and bubble production, but nothing is coming up. Any suggestions would be of great help. Thanks!

So you've got bubbles but no skimmate hmmm.

Have you tried adjusting the bubble layer? Maybe raise it up and try a slightly wet skim?

Did you dose any unusual products/chemicals into the tank?

maybe nothing to skim. You sound like me... I am currently running a euro reef skimmer that has been online 24/7 for about 10 years. had to replace the pump few times ( my fault, never clean them). they are great skimmers. If your bubble level is at neck height, but no skimmare, I really won't worry about it.

Check your return pump flow.
If flow to sump is low, you end up mostly cleaning sump instead of display tank.

Make sure to clean the air tube as well. That can get full of salt and restrict flow.

Different DIY oily food? Furniture polish used nearby?
Oils and chemicals can do it.

I have not done anything different, except I am now running GFO through a reactor and have added more carbon. The pumps from the sump to the tank have recently been cleaned as has the skimmer pump. Food is the same as it has been. I may try raising the bubble layer and see what happens then. Thanks for your help.

Kinda similar thing happened to me. I used to get very good gunk for several months and one day skimmer decided to not skim, although there was good foaming.... Vinegar bathed, tried other adjustments but the only thing that fixed it for me was rising it 2"!

After no skimmate for nearly 3 months, I took the whole thing apart, washed with soap the entire housing (rinsed very well) and put it back together. Within a week, I had some skimmate, but now it is producing at its previous level. Thank you all for your help on this. Now it is down to getting my alkalinity, calcium and magnesium back up to where it belongs. I lost two birdsnest corals but found a frag growing to the side of the aquarium. It still looks healthy. I will continue to supplement calcium, alk and mag until I get the levels back to where they belong. Cross you finger that I don't blow it!

Back