High Tide Aquatics

Non-Neptune moonlight simulator suggestions?

Hi guys, my current lighting schedule is 5AM - 8PM, which cuts into the most expensive tier of electricity, and is 15 hours of photoperiod, which is probably too much anyway, but of course afternoon and evening is when I want to see the tank. I'm thinking of cutting the lights off at 4PM instead, which is still 11 hours of photoperiod.

So I'm thinking that I'd use an old kessil fixture I have and turn it way down to act like a moonlight type thing, but then I'm thinking it would be cool to have it follow moon phases or something (just on off, I have no way to control the brightness on the kessil as it's two manual knobs on the pendant). I have a controllable-via-Alexa outlet, but don't know if there's a way to control it beyond saying "Alexa, turn on the moonlights".

Or maybe there is an off the shelf solution out there already that doesn't require buying an Apex controller? Everytime I look for it, all I see is the Neptune LSM module for the APEX.

Thanks!

V

I think @Thales might have the best recommendation on this since the Kessil might be a little too strong even on the lowest setting. But if I recall he mentioned he does run his off the Neptune.

I agree that even on their lowest setting, the kessil is still way too bright to simulate moonlight. I have ap700’s though so some of the newer models may work better.

If it is just for looks use the Kessil. If you want to do that actual moon stuff you’ll need to get the apex or program something - and the brightness isn’t really great for viewing.

If it is just for looks use the Kessil. If you want to do that actual moon stuff you’ll need to get the apex or program something - and the brightness isn’t really great for viewing.
Argh!
I'm resisting buying an Apex, however, I DO have an ancient Aquacontroller Jr, which is currently a glorified thermometer on the tank now. Maybe I can get it to turn on some sort LED lamp to be my moon.

V

I've been using the lunar phase on my radion G5s and unless it's a full moon you really can't see anything but I feel like it does a good job at simulating moonlight.

Back