Oceanic 58

Discussion in 'Tank Journals' started by alvin chiao, Feb 7, 2017.

1. Flagg37

Flagg37 Colorado member

Any change in direction builds friction. The smoother the change the less friction but the more friction built up the more likely something will fail. Pump over heats/fails prematurely, tube comes off the barb fitting.... Not friction related but the more bends and twists means more opportunities for a kink.

There's potential risks and drawbacks to any setup. There's no perfect solution that satisfies all scenarios.

Coral reefer likes this.
  2. RandyC

RandyC Supporting Member

I wouldn't recommend using silicon tubing for your return or overflow drains. They're too soft and as a result can kink easily. I only use them for short runs and only in non-essential places like my reactors.

Coral reefer likes this.
  3. Flagg37

Flagg37 Colorado member

I hav silicone tubing running from my return pump to the hard plumbing. It's about 6" and pretty much straight up. It's only purpose is to eliminate vibration.

Vhuang168 likes this.
  4. Vhuang168

Vhuang168 Supporting Member

I also have silicone tubing isolating my pump from the plumbing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. alvin chiao

alvin chiao Guest

Set up the tank. I'll try to get better pictures of the overflow plumbing but I just went ahead and stuck the tubing into the sump. I really like it because the drains sit right over the sump so if there's a leak it should be contained.

For the emergency drain, I just let it flow down into the skimmer compartment. Should I cut the drain short so it is above the water or should it go below the sump water line?

6. Newjack

Newjack Supporting Member

for an emergency drain, I like to cut it a tad short of the sump water line. This way, if you start to have water flowing down your emergency drain, you should hear the water splashing into your sump. Notifying you that something is not right with your primary drain. Time to start troubleshooting why.

alvin chiao likes this.
  7. alvin chiao

alvin chiao Guest

added a bunch of fish over the last few days. really liking how the tank is coming together. i think i want to try and get one center piece fish like a yellow eye kole tang. i also need to set up what kind of stuff im going to run in the sump. i just ordered some chemipure elite and seachem matrix to throw in the sump.

here is a list of the inhabitants:

6x blue/green chromis
    1 misbar goldstripe maroon clownfish
    1 other clownfish (not sure how to tell apart)
    1 blue damsel
    1 cleaner wrasse
    2 firefish
    1 purple firefish

1 green brittle starfish
    1 fire shrimp
    1 peppermint shrimp
    bunch of other snails and hermit crabs (but need to get more)

equipment wise, i want to perhaps get a kessil light or a vortech mp40. haha i can worry about it later.

8. Vhuang168

Do you have a bta for the maroon? It's going to rule the tank.
    If you don't have a bta for it to hang out in, it may chase the rest of the fish around as it claims the whole tank. With a bta, it's more concentrated around bta and the other fish can swim around more.

Also be aware that the maroon can draw blood if it decides it doesn't like your hand in the tank.

Hope you treated the chromis or at least qt'd them. They are prone to uronema. It's nasty and kills everything.

9. alvin chiao

alvin chiao Guest

Crap. Just looked this morning and one of the chromis has a thing on his skin. Should I take it out and try to treat it? Today is day 3 of getting them. Did not quarantine. I better starting quarantining...

I'll try and get a picture tonight

10. alvin chiao

alvin chiao Guest

11. Vhuang168

Could be uronema. Have to see it full side view.

12. Coral reefer

Coral reefer President

I thought you had to use a microscope to know for sure?

13. Coral reefer

Coral reefer President

Absolutely not! Definitely too small. Even for a baby tang. You will just have to re home it within a year. Please don't do it.

14. alvin chiao

alvin chiao Guest

Ok I guess I won't. Just worried about this chromis!

15. alvin chiao

alvin chiao Guest

So I put in a mix of prazi pro and rid ich. And some erythromicin directly into the tank. He seemed to be liking it, just sitting out in the open. My preference would be to catch him in a breeder box and pour this stuff directly on him but he's too hard to catch. Anyway, I hope it's just some bruising. I actually remember one chromis got stuck in the net when I was releasing them. Maybe it was this one, and then it got harassed last night, one day after I first introduced them.

Lol, also bought a pregnant cleaner shrimp to help clean some parasites!

16. Ibn

Ibn Supporting Member

Looks like uronema as well from here. By the time that you can diagnose it externally it's usually too late for treatment and it's highly contagious with chromis and anthias. I had one P. pascalus that came in with it and it didn't make it past 48 hours after arrival (isolated it in another tank by itself).

upload_2017-4-20_20-0-30.png

upload_2017-4-20_20-0-48.png

17. roostertech

roostertech reef noob

Most of the "ich" products are more for freshwater and pretty much ineffective on marine ich. There is no reef safe ich treatment.

18. alvin chiao

alvin chiao Guest

Should I get the infected chromis out now? Is it even worth it or is the damage done? My tank is infected????