Jestersix

Off Topic Photography Showcase Thread

Yup, these were their engagement pictures. The wedding is gonna be in Toronto and flying me in was out of the question. :p

Was in Reno this weekend to look for some insectivorous plants. These are from this weekend.

D2X_7665.jpg

D2X_7667.jpg

D2X_7680.jpg

D2X_7682.jpg

Flower from a cobra lily.
D2X_7691.jpg

Here's an interesting looking parasitic plant.
D2X_7696.jpg

Here's another insectivore; these things covered areas of the bog.
D2X_7706.jpg

This sundew on the other hand is in decline. According to someone else there this plant used to cover a 2' square; it's down to about 2". :(
D2X_7724.jpg

D2X_7708.jpg

Finally, some bugs encountered along the way.

Perfectly blended in w/the wood. Almost smooshed it when I placed my hand down.
D2X_7661.jpg

Not sure what this fella is.
D2X_7686.jpg

Lastly, a discarded husk. Some crazy looking mandibles on there.
D2X_7709.jpg

Nope it isn't. Those fire roads were pretty rough on the undercarriage.

Definitely need to go back another time with one though.

Just to be a little different, here's a couple of telemacro shots:

original.jpg

Canon EF 100-400mm f/ 4.5/5.6L USM, 1/350s f/11.0 at 400.0mm iso400

80648912.jpg

Canon EF 100-400mm f/ 4.5/5.6L USM, 1/1000s f/6.7 at 400.0mm iso400

Not sure what this fella is.

Sure looks like an Assassin (blood sucker) to me but I haven't looked at one close up in quite some time.

I know this thread is kind of between a handfull of you but I just wanted to jump in and say your pictures are all amazing. I wish i had the skill and patience to do this, it's awsome. I also was at that row of trees in poi pu. we just stood in the middle of the road with all the cars flying past us to get pictures, but nothing like these. Keep em coming

Ibn, the last picture is great.
I wish the girl in the back would be as bright as the one in the front.
Did you use flash?
I do get same challenge with my build-in flash on D50.
i guess i need to get SB40 at least.

Thanks.

Used a SB-800 as fill for the shot. Should have yanked out the reflector to get some additional light on the one in the back. The better option would have been using the additional SB-800 on commander mode (still need to pick up a SU-800 unit).

Get at least a SB-600 if you can. The SB-400 isn't much better than the onboard flash.

[quote author=Ibn link=topic=1827.msg22882#msg22882 date=1186552230]
Thanks.

Used a SB-800 as fill for the shot. Should have yanked out the reflector to get some additional light on the one in the back. The better option would have been using the additional SB-800 on commander mode (still need to pick up a SU-800 unit).

Get at least a SB-600 if you can. The SB-400 isn't much better than the onboard flash.
[/quote]

I would skip the 400 like eric said. It's an awesome flash, but it's probably as awesome as the onboard (which is also quite good for an onboard).

I'd spend the bit more money for the SB-600. It's way more useful. The SB-400 is a waste of money IMO.

The Stofen OmniBounce works really well. I keep it on my sb-600 no matter what.

That's some red beak on that gull. Did you happen to blow the red channel?

Here's something caught off the sensor last night (well, technically this morning). Left image taken w/D2X + 300mm f/4 AFS + 1.7x TC on HSC mode. Right image taken with D200 using the same lens and teleconverter combo. Had to switch since I wasn't planning on shooting this and didn't charge the camera.

lunar_small.jpg

Ibn, it's just 2 layers, one with Soft Light.
Original image:

gull.jpg

As you can see the sand became grainier and feathers are more pronounced.

Yup, it definitely did.

What I'm referring to is the channels being clipped. You can see that they're off the histogram here.
84642329.jpg

The intension was to make picture dramatic.
I do experiment with photoshop lately.
Trying to fill the lack of photo creativity I guess ;-)

Actually I was trying to achieve same result as here:
http://www.batailley.net/index.php?showimage=362

You can click on before/after button and see how he changes the photo.
Maybe you know what kind of technique he is using?

Not really sure which path he took to get from one image to the other so I just tested it out. I took his monkey shot and worked on it for about 5 minutes. Would be better if I had a RAW shot to work with since parts of the processing required some color balancing.

Did some sharpening, levels adjustment, curves adjustment, color balance, saturation push, dodging, and burning.

84645930.jpg

Back