Kessil

Online chat session - CAPTIVE PROPAGATION - Thursday 12/17 @9pm

cwolfus

Past President
The BOD is intent on making better use of our online chat feature to educate and entertain us all. So we're setting up weekly chat sessions when we will have guest hosts to take questions on a given topic in real-time. This is a great opportunity for us to all learn and share. It is also an opportunity for the newbies among us to quickly learn from all the mistakes our old-timers have already made! ;)

This week's reef chat is:

Topic: Captive propagation
Host: Bookfish and friends
When: Thursday 12/17 @ 9pm

To participate just log in and join the chat. We're looking forward to seeing you there.

Definately. Would be cool if people came prepared with a good question or two. If we start everything out as a moderated Q/A etc, we can pull out the Q/A for a wiki etc for info for the future :)

bookfish said:
Hope some people show up!

I've got dozens of pointed questions :lol: maybe I'll show up... if I am still up then.

GreshamH said:
bookfish said:
Hope some people show up!

I've got dozens of pointed questions :lol: maybe I'll show up... if I am still up then.
Yup, me too. I hope the people that show up don't mind the raw truth. We've both seen a lot of this industry and know not to fall for the simple answers. For example, I suspect that growing a coral colony at home has a far, far higher carbon footprint than plucking one from the ocean and sending it over on a plane (which is already flying that route for passenger flights). In that case the statement 'aquaculture is savings the reefs' is not correct as stated. There are certainly other arguments in favor of aquacultured marines but that one (which I see a lot) is too simplistic.
Please join us everyone and there'll be a box at the door to leave your rose colored glasses.
LOL-Jim

Hmm, last final I give ends at 9pm, see if I remember and pop in, or if I'll be too excited to doing the 'It's over it's over" happy dance.

So are we going to talk about propagation or how evil we are because we like boxes of the ocean, while I agree whole heartily that it's more complicated, it's almost not as simplistic as "the plane was going there anyways", I mean hell I can argue that my tank is running anyways so the addition of a little frag rack really has zero impact :D

sfsuphysics said:
Hmm, last final I give ends at 9pm, see if I remember and pop in, or if I'll be too excited to doing the 'It's over it's over" happy dance.

So are we going to talk about propagation or how evil we are because we like boxes of the ocean, while I agree whole heartily that it's more complicated, it's almost not as simplistic as "the plane was going there anyways", I mean hell I can argue that my tank is running anyways so the addition of a little frag rack really has zero impact :D

Um the plane was and is going there and won't stop if we stop taking coral from there. It is that simple and your argument holds no water, but you know this.

sfsuphysics said:

We're gonna talk about whatever we talk about. Captive Propagation is the stated topic so I guess we'll discuss stuff related to that topic. My example was simply to point out that in many cases the answers put forth for public consumption are overly simplistic (see, I didn't say dumbed down!) and reduced to sound bytes that dishonor the complexity of the subject and discredit the intelligence of the audience. Hope you can fit some chat in between dances.

Just wondering, do these get logged some how? Reefs.org used to do #reef discussions of which they logged in read only forums. Great reference to fall back on.

That was really fun - and some great stuff, both on topic and off topic, was discussed. Great idea! And thanks to Jim for badgering me into being there.

GreshamH said:
Just wondering, do these get logged some how? Reefs.org used to do #reef discussions of which they logged in read only forums. Great reference to fall back on.

I have a copy of it. My first attempt to paste it directly into the comment box on this thread didn't fly so I'll have to play with it a bit more. But yes, last night's chat had some great stuff and should be a very good reference in the not too distant future.

Back