Jestersix

Online or LFS orders for an Aquarium, what's the difference?

yngplo

Supporting Member
Hey all,

I'm leaning into ordering a IM 50 EXT tank in the new year, would it be better to order it myself online, or through at LFS?

If it benefits our LFS's here in the bay I'd like to support them. Does it make any difference?

Big difference imo. Shipping and such is an additional stress on the fish. Lfs can give you solid advice and support if something goes sideways. Like at high tide, Kenny will walk you through the whole quarantine process he goes through and show you all the fish at all the various stages so you know exactly what you're getting and where it's coming from. Finally if there's an issue with aggression or adapting, LFS will often give you credit or support you in finding a new fish that's a better fit. Also the prices are really similar so it's an easy call for me. Only possible exception might be getting a controlled species like a yellow tang which basically all come from biota anyways.

Sneaky edit: thought you were talking about stocking your tank not buying the tank itself.

Last edited:
Hey all,

I'm leaning into ordering a IM 50 EXT tank in the new year, would it be better to order it myself online, or through at LFS?

If it benefits our LFS's here in the bay I'd like to support them. Does it make any difference?
Thank you for wanting to support!!! It means a lot! I’ll get the tank for you, same price as online, and I will help you with the whole transfer/reboot/or cycling process you’re going to be going through! Just shoot email to the shop hightideaquatics.net

Big difference imo. Shipping and such is an additional stress on the fish. Lfs can give you solid advice and support if something goes sideways. Like at high tide, Kenny will walk you through the whole quarantine process he goes through and show you all the fish at all the various stages so you know exactly what you're getting and where it's coming from. Finally if there's an issue with aggression or adapting, LFS will often give you credit or support you in finding a new fish that's a better fit. Also the prices are really similar so it's an easy call for me. Only possible exception might be getting a controlled species like a yellow tang which basically all come from biota anyways.

Sneaky edit: thought you were talking about stocking your tank not buying the tank itself.
Thanks for the awesomeness!!! I really try to help and lead people in the right direction! If I can’t do it myself I will lead you to someone that can!

Yes we do!
Thanks Aaron I got mad respect for you!!!!! Running a LFS in the days of BRS is really hard! But I try to provide the education that is necessary for these animals to die of old age in our aquariums! Online commerce does not promote that, they support capitalism. Capitalism does not give our special animals the chance of dying of old age in a captive closed system. I’m not here to sell products! Like BRS and have my videos to encourage you “if you buy this, your reef tank will thrive” I am here to give no bull shit, no bias, no snake oil, I don’t sell anything I havnt used myself or trusted other reefers! I love these animals!!! They deserve the utmost of special treatment! Ryan from BRS I love!! But when your backed a billion dollar corporate conglomerate, then…..well the animals go out the window in exchange for dollars! Sorry RANT over! I love all my Bay Area reefers!!!! I wouldn’t have the education of proper husbandry and general reef keeping ethics if it wasn’t for this club! Happy holidays y’all!

Back