got ethical husbandry?

Orange Bubble Tip Nems at Aquatic Collection anyone?

I don't know if I like it enough to pay that much. I feel like it does have a great "collector's item" feel to it, but this $45 nem from AC is pretty nice too. If I see a CSB in person one day, and it really blows my mind, then for sure I'd put down a good amount for it.

in my opinion, people buy CSB for two reasons. 1. propagate and make money. 2. get it for collector item for people to have the most expensive.

i have seen many cheap anemones that look better just dont have a name or a price tag. thats why i wont buy another.

looks good! what do you use to photo? i have a hard time getting detail of coral farther than 5 inchs away.

This photo I shot straight through the glass (not top down like yours). Surfaces will distort and reduce sharpness a lot, especially water (even still water). Glass is good, but if you are at any angle, it will distort and reduce sharpness. I put my camera flush against the glass in this photo, no light gap (my camera doesn't expose the glass element beyond the metal casing, so it's safe). This reduces all glare, most distortion, and avoids losing sharpness. The hurdle with shooting through glass is you need a straight on perspective, otherwise any angles will suck. I try to place all my corals that I'd photograph in spots where I know I can get a straight on shot if possible.

For top down photos, you can also use a simple view box and flush your lens against that.

in my opinion, people buy CSB for two reasons. 1. propagate and make money. 2. get it for collector item for people to have the most expensive.

i have seen many cheap anemones that look better just dont have a name or a price tag. thats why i wont buy another.

Yeah, I think it's a great way to make money. The demand is pretty amazing. I don't know how long it will last, but in this hobby, lineage goes a long way, and that's really great.

The hobby to me is a way to add really beautiful things to look at, and to be part of a fun community like BAR. I think if I were to reposition myself to making money, I would absolutely invest in a real CSB. For my current reasons, I would love it for a collector's item, probably sell enough splits to get my investment back, and then maybe I'll be empowered to spread the love to other BAR members. I've always thought about getting really expensive stuff and just spreading it out for cheap/free. I think that would be great, but at the same time I understand it kind of sucks and dilutes the market for others.

Pretty nice little anemone you got there. Hopefully that clown doesn't try to squeeze into it :D

Always was curious though, if clowns who were hosting one type of anemone could host multiple types? Slime coat won't allow it I guess.

Pretty nice little anemone you got there. Hopefully that clown doesn't try to squeeze into it :D

Always was curious though, if clowns who were hosting one type of anemone could host multiple types? Slime coat won't allow it I guess.

One of them squished it's face straight into it when I first put it in! I shouted: "OMG give it a sec, you're going to smash it into bits"

Interestingly, the clowns I have in the Magnifica will occasionally squish around in the BTAs I have. They seem to be OK, though maybe because the BTAs stings aren't very intense.

Gigantic size. Click to expand on the desktop web, you can see all the details of the nem:

43503708905_e163b4c7fe_o.jpg
That a nice looking nem... reminds me almost of this one that I had...
d0cd5a1227635969c7a2f71b6ca99538.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Yeah, I think it's a great way to make money. The demand is pretty amazing. I don't know how long it will last, but in this hobby, lineage goes a long way, and that's really great.

The hobby to me is a way to add really beautiful things to look at, and to be part of a fun community like BAR. I think if I were to reposition myself to making money, I would absolutely invest in a real CSB. For my current reasons, I would love it for a collector's item, probably sell enough splits to get my investment back, and then maybe I'll be empowered to spread the love to other BAR members. I've always thought about getting really expensive stuff and just spreading it out for cheap/free. I think that would be great, but at the same time I understand it kind of sucks and dilutes the market for others.
All you need is to sell one to break even... :)

There doesn't seem to be any forgiveness based on size or lack thereof.

It's bright reddish orange, actually... will see about a better pic when I get home tomorrow... though it has moved since as I messed with my lights a few days ago

I wonder if there's any chance the nem I got is similar or the same as yours? Though AC does get quite a few nems sometimes, just wondering if we got it from the same batch. The basket had quite a few.

I stopped by AC today. They had 4 left. About the size of quarters. Snapped some pics in case anyone wanted to see them. Taken with a iPhone X.

On a second note, their new coral tanks are looking good. Much better than the old set up.

851923c90bae475c8445d722466a765a.jpg

18e1b4b7245d34e1696b2c4e7b1c318d.jpg

5781e3624281cf84dccdae2089aa5805.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I stopped by AC today. They had 4 left. About the size of quarters. Snapped some pics in case anyone wanted to see them. Taken with a iPhone X.

On a second note, their new coral tanks are looking good. Much better than the old set up.

851923c90bae475c8445d722466a765a.jpg

18e1b4b7245d34e1696b2c4e7b1c318d.jpg

5781e3624281cf84dccdae2089aa5805.jpg

Thx for pics. Some cool looking rainbows!

Back