Reef nutrition

Overflow should be centered ?

Team,
I am thinking about where to put my internal overflow . I am okay on what height to mount it at.

what I want to know is should the overflow be mounted “centered” left to right on the back of the tank? Does it matter. I have a eurobraced tank and if I mount it dead center it’s going to block an area where my frag rack hangs over.

Thank you ,
Randy

The overflow I just mounted is not centered because the tank is partially in the wall, and they wanted the peninsula viewing style, so we got the biggest one that we could fit in the remaining space.

Excellent. It’s better to ask than assume before I drill this tank ( it’s acrylic )

What about the “return”? Doesn’t matter either ? Just what esthetically please me ?

Yeah it’s a beautiful overflow I had custom made for me on a cnc. I’ll have to look up the exact specs I calculated but I think it was around 1400 gallons turnover an hour.

Okay so I was super anal about this and measured water level, made sure it was level, spacing , made sure I could get the overflow top off for cleaning, etc. I had 1/32nd tolerance so I am very happy with how it turned out.

…. Next question. Would you put a bead of silicone on weir platearound the edges? I thought this would be an extra layer to keep water from from even making it to the o-rings? Or this a bad idea that’s just gonna trap stuff in the small space between the weir and the back of the tank ?

make sure you got enough teeth for 5x tank turnover - yes sealed with silicone or whatever and final. you don't want fluctuations to your "set running" water line in the sump

I have 3 1" holes on the overflow. Does it matter the placement of the Durso standpipe , emergency drain and the primary drain? I can't see why it would but wanted to check before I get to "glue'n "

Back