Jestersix

Padina Algae

lol yeah.. we just took another 29 gal freshwater down last month..
put your stuff on craigslist! thats where most of our stuff came from, aside from my biocube, and my 60 gal.
how is propagating working for you? i really really want to have a business doing it, but there is soooo much i need to learn even before i can start propping out my tank. plus i want to get some real bright colored ones. i used to want to do strictly acro's but im starting to like the mushrooms and ricordea, and zoas. i saw this awesome echinata yesterday at dolphin, i want it soooo bad, but its 90 bucks. boooo. :(

I don't sell on CL anymore...far too much of a hassle for me and I've had a few friends robbed when meeting people. A lady from my town was killed at such a CL meeting so I'm really turned off on CL to say the least.

I've been propping corals now since 98' or so. Currently I have not been putting that much time into it as my day job making and selling coral feeds has me all wrapped up :)

oo you MAKE coral food? thats sooo cool. im such a newbie to this, i dont even know HOW to feed them, or if theyd even eat what i give them. i put stuff in the water, but i guess i really never know if they are eating it, aside from some candy coral looking things, and flavias, when they put their arms out, i know they are feeding, but aside from that, i never really know what they are doing. i just want them to be healthy, i freak out whenever they dont look so hot.

oh yeah, i know that brand. i never have tried it though. i just saw the fridge at dolphin yesterday. neato. do you love it? :) maybe i'll have to try it some time. but how do i know that they are eating it?? ???

I love working in the same arena as my hobby but it can get over whelming at times.

It's very hard to tell what is eating or not, or if it regurgitated the food as pseudo feces. For me it comes with watching corals endlessly for a long time.

yeah, i can imagine, you probably have to stare a LOT at stuff! but it is cool that you get to work in the same arena as your hobby. ive always wanted to have my own fish store, but it must be really tough and expensive to have one. so i think ill just keep truckin on with the corals, and hope that some day i can have a profitable business with it. im thinking of joining BAR, but id feel weird, because im probably not as knowledgeable as most members, but well see. ill probably end up joining at some point. i love this website! :)

what kind of food would you recommend for Zoas, and mushrooms, ricordeas, and oh, we have three elegance corals too. we used to have one, and it got HUGE, and my boyfriend accidentally left some water polishing pillows in the filter for weeks, and it basically lifted off its calcium base, and now we have three little ones, the size of quarters, so were hoping that we can get them back up to where they used to be, but as i understand, elegance corals are extremely hard to take care of. every LFS weve been to and talked to about them, they usually saw its really advanced and difficult to keep. lets hope we have the gift! :)

[quote author=GreshamH link=topic=4101.msg49081#msg49081 date=1216069681]
no herbivorious fish?

Phong, you don't want it if you have any corals. It tends to smother stuff very fast. Some tangs (Naso I know for sure) like to munch on it, as do a few nudibranchs (that are not in the trade so don't go that route).
[/quote]

Ah.. thanks Gresham.. it looks pretty cool though LOL ..

Look different than the picture that reefergirl posted

my explanation for that, is that we took most of it off, when moving the rocks to the 60 gal. if left un touched, it grows fast, and it looks just like that. some of the small patches on the rock are hard to take off, and i didnt know you could 'scrub' your rocks. :)

[quote author=ReeferGirl link=topic=4101.msg49119#msg49119 date=1216076840]im thinking of joining BAR, but id feel weird, because im probably not as knowledgeable as most members, but well see. ill probably end up joining at some point. i love this website! :)
[/quote]

No need to be self conscious. Lots of nice people here. Welcome to the site, and have fun on the forums :D

[quote author=ReeferGirl link=topic=4101.msg49119#msg49119 date=1216076840]
because im probably not as knowledgeable as most members, but well see.[/quote]

As are most of us...we dont have the time, nor the money to make all the mistakes you can possibly make in this hobby...so learning off each others mistakes and mishaps can be very benificial, especially when someone who knows how to resolve the situation chimes in..

but as i understand, elegance corals are extremely hard to take care of. every LFS weve been to and talked to about them, they usually saw its really advanced and difficult to keep. lets hope we have the gift! :)
[/quote]

IME the aussie ones are easier to keep...ive managed to keep a couple indos, but no longer than a year..i finally forked over and picked up an aussie and its been doing good since the day i got it..even when my water went to crap for about a week..

[quote author=Mr. Ugly link=topic=4101.msg49137#msg49137 date=1216099898]
[quote author=ReeferGirl link=topic=4101.msg49119#msg49119 date=1216076840]im thinking of joining BAR, but id feel weird, because im probably not as knowledgeable as most members, but well see. ill probably end up joining at some point. i love this website! :)
[/quote]

No need to be self conscious. Lots of nice people here. Welcome to the site, and have fun on the forums :D
[/quote]

Thank you so much :) I really do find it informational. i would however, like to see more pictures of everyone's tanks! i love looking at all the designs people come up with. you can be so creative with aquascaping! i cant WAIT until the academy of sciences opens up, so i can go straight to the steinhart aquarium. my dad bought me a director's circle or whatever its called membership, so i will have alot of fun using that!
how many people do you think will show up to the frag swap? id love to go, but i dont have any frags ready, and i havent dove into that relm yet! im too scared! :)

[quote author=FinalPhaze987 link=topic=4101.msg49139#msg49139 date=1216107133]

As are most of us...we dont have the time, nor the money to make all the mistakes you can possibly make in this hobby...so learning off each others mistakes and mishaps can be very benificial, especially when someone who knows how to resolve the situation chimes in..

but as i understand, elegance corals are extremely hard to take care of. every LFS weve been to and talked to about them, they usually saw its really advanced and difficult to keep. lets hope we have the gift! :)
[/quote]

IME the aussie ones are easier to keep...ive managed to keep a couple indos, but no longer than a year..i finally forked over and picked up an aussie and its been doing good since the day i got it..even when my water went to crap for about a week..
[/quote]

haha well i jinxed myself on that one, my boyfriend left water polishing pads in his fluval because he forgot about them, and the elegance took itself off the calcium base, and now there are three heads floating around the tanks. im not sure what i should do with them. they are all tiny now, about the size of the quarter, whereas when healthy and expanded in the 45 gallon tank, i thought there was just one head, and it was the size of my boyfriends hand. poor things, i hope they survive. does anyone recommend that i put them in some kind of container to keep it from floating around? and are they going to die now? lol. help! haha

There aren't many things that like to eat Padina. I saw a lot in Tahiti, not even the big Unicorn tangs would touch it. I had some in my first reef tank, but I found it died off on its own. Manual removal, or patience, is probably the best way to get rid of it.

[quote author=ReeferGirl link=topic=4101.msg49174#msg49174 date=1216165911]
[quote author=FinalPhaze987 link=topic=4101.msg49139#msg49139 date=1216107133]

[/quote]

[/quote]

haha well i jinxed myself on that one, my boyfriend left water polishing pads in his fluval because he forgot about them, and the elegance took itself off the calcium base, and now there are three heads floating around the tanks. im not sure what i should do with them. they are all tiny now, about the size of the quarter, whereas when healthy and expanded in the 45 gallon tank, i thought there was just one head, and it was the size of my boyfriends hand. poor things, i hope they survive. does anyone recommend that i put them in some kind of container to keep it from floating around? and are they going to die now? lol. help! haha
[/quote]

Bail out is a bad sign, and can happen with the dreaded Elegance coral disease. Tentacles shrink, body inflates, and on occasion they bail out.

All of the doom and gloom aside, if the tissue seems healthy it's worth it to try and save the animals, and there a many variations on how to do this. I have not used this technique on Elegance Coral, but have on a variety of Euphillias (when I kept Elegance ~15-20 years ago they were bulletproof).

Take a short section of PVC, larger than the diameter of the fully inflated coral, insert said coral into the PVC and wrap with bridal veil material. A rubber band is good for securing the material to the pipe. Place the PVC so the coral is facing towards the light, but do not put it in a high light area, remember the coral is stressed and needs to recover. Here's the important part, make sure to clear out detritus every couple of days or so, if not you risk bacterial infections, or irritation from bristle worms and the like. Be very patient it takes quite a while for these animals to reproduce a skeleton.

There are numerous variations of this technique, and I'm sure someone else will chime in on their experiences.

GL

[/quote]

Bail out is a bad sign, and can happen with the dreaded Elegance coral disease. Tentacles shrink, body inflates, and on occasion they bail out.

All of the doom and gloom aside, if the tissue seems healthy it's worth it to try and save the animals, and there a many variations on how to do this. I have not used this technique on Elegance Coral, but have on a variety of Euphillias (when I kept Elegance ~15-20 years ago they were bulletproof).

Take a short section of PVC, larger than the diameter of the fully inflated coral, insert said coral into the PVC and wrap with bridal veil material. A rubber band is good for securing the material to the pipe. Place the PVC so the coral is facing towards the light, but do not put it in a high light area, remember the coral is stressed and needs to recover. Here's the important part, make sure to clear out detritus every couple of days or so, if not you risk bacterial infections, or irritation from bristle worms and the like. Be very patient it takes quite a while for these animals to reproduce a skeleton.

There are numerous variations of this technique, and I'm sure someone else will chime in on their experiences.

GL
[/quote]

thank you SO much, what a fantastic idea!! ill do it! you are so smart. i cant wait to tell my boyfriend, im sure he will be very happy, as i think that was his favorite coral! thank you, thank you, thank you!! :)

Back