Reef nutrition

Painting Light Fixture

kinetic

Supporting Member
I decided on a Reefi Uno light fixture to replace my AI Hydra 52HD. The Uno is black by default, but Reefi will be sending me an extra case that's unpainted, so I can paint it white (to match everything else).

I was thinking of using a Satin spray paint:

Will that work? I'll probably do very light coats, letting it sit and dry between each coat.

Do I need anything like primer or any sealant?

I decided on a Reefi Uno light fixture to replace my AI Hydra 52HD. The Uno is black by default, but Reefi will be sending me an extra case that's unpainted, so I can paint it white (to match everything else).

I was thinking of using a Satin spray paint:

Will that work? I'll probably do very light coats, letting it sit and dry between each coat.

Do I need anything like primer or any sealant?
I saw someone who painted their kessils white on another forum. They used that style of satin white paint/primer but from rust oleum rather than krylon.

What is the material the covers are made of? I like using the plastic film spray (plastidip) for unique shapes since it seems to adhere to things well. I coated my metal water bottle with it for example.

I've used Krylon fusion and it lays out pretty well and flashes over fast. You can sand and polish too as long it is cured. No need for primer with Fusion. Since your paint project is small, you might want to consider using Dupli-color automotive paint. The paint atomizes very well coming from a can. It will give you a super fine and smooth coat. It lays out thinner coats with each pass compared to Krylon...less chance of pooling and orange peel effect. You do need to apply a primer coat with the dupli-color though. Either one will give you good results but dupli-color is easier to spray IMO. With any canned spray paint, make sure you warm it up by soaking it in a tub of hot tap water for 5-10 minutes...the paint will flow better when warm. By the way, your user sounds very familiar. I might have purchased an Elos sump and skimmer from you back in the days.

I assume the "case" is aluminum? In which case you definitely want to use primer, and aluminium tends to be very smooth so you'll need a way to etch into the surface. But in general google how to paint aluminum there's plenty of resources out there that I don't really need to regurgitate

I assume the "case" is aluminum? In which case you definitely want to use primer, and aluminium tends to be very smooth so you'll need a way to etch into the surface. But in general google how to paint aluminum there's plenty of resources out there that I don't really need to regurgitate
It's just plastic actually!

I need to adjust the angle of the light, for some reason it's rotated even though the ceiling mount points are perfect:

nLdXbG4.jpg

vXixkqY.jpg

ZjbwvwU.jpg

About the nem. H. magnificas almost always go towards the top of the rock. Very very rarely do they stay at the bottom of the tank, even 1 as shallow as this one.
The tentacles do look like a H. magnifica, but from the placement, I would guess that is an H. crispa. Maybe a hybrid.
Can you take a picture of the underside of the disc?
Is the foot in a crevice or spread out on top of the rockwork?
What color is the foot?

About the nem. H. magnificas almost always go towards the top of the rock. Very very rarely do they stay at the bottom of the tank, even 1 as shallow as this one.
The tentacles do look like a H. magnifica, but from the placement, I would guess that is an H. crispa. Maybe a hybrid.
Can you take a picture of the underside of the disc?
Is the foot in a crevice or spread out on top of the rockwork?
What color is the foot?

Hey Vincent,
This is indeed a H. Magnifica that I got from "gig'em" on Reef2Reef. I had built a nice flat pedestal at the top of the rockwork, smooth surface and everything, yet it kept climbing down to the current spot. It's foot is slightly lodged in a crevice, and has been for years.

Here are some photos from where I first got it in 2018:

20180404-_DSC0799 by Arthur Chang, on Flickr

20171230-_DSC0690 by Arthur Chang, on Flickr

20171110-_DSC0190 by Arthur Chang, on Flickr

20171105-_DSC0041 by Arthur Chang, on Flickr

I need to adjust the angle of the light, for some reason it's rotated even though the ceiling mount points are perfect:
I used these wires/hooks to hang my lights when I had them hanging. They will swivel and have a clean look IMO

I used these wires/hooks to hang my lights when I had them hanging. They will swivel and have a clean look IMO

I kind of need those "hooks" on both sides. I have four eyelets on the top of the fixture, so I need four points to be attached.

Oh, I found these:

I think that would work, but I need clips on both ends to attach. Maybe tiny carribeaners or these:

Something like these. There are snap swivel and split-ring in SS ball bearing; a good assortment of sizes should be available.

I think the bigger sizes of the swivels are better for your application; one end has a split-ring and the other the snap-lock.
A bit hard to slide the eyelet into the split-ring but it's just like a keyring.

Back